danceScape.com    forums.danceScape.com    Forums - Live, Love, Laugh ... Dance!  Hop To Forum Categories  danceScape SkyhiClub Lounge: Welcome to the Skyhi Life!  Hop To Forums  WELLNESS    Is it possible to strengthen Ligaments/Tendons? (possible stupid question)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to strengthen Ligaments/Tendons? (possible stupid question) Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I know you can strengthen muscle, but can you strengthen the fibers of ligaments and tendons? I had knee injuries in the past that continue to haunt me, and although I have significantly strengthened the muscles around my knees, I am wondering if its possible to strength tendons and ligaments, because that is where I think most of my problems still lie.
Silver
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Disclaimer: I'm not a health expert nor do I claim to be one.

Perhaps a diet with more collagen would help? Lots and lots of Jello, or pig skin(not fried). You can also try eating just cow ligaments and tendon. They are usually available at some american groccery stores, and most asian groccery stores.

Also, you might want to talk to a physical therapist if the problem worsens.

PreBronze
quote:
Originally posted by Latin Mambo:
I know you can strengthen muscle, but can you strengthen the fibers of ligaments and tendons? I had knee injuries in the past that continue to haunt me, and although I have significantly strengthened the muscles around my knees, I am wondering if its possible to strength tendons and ligaments, because that is where I think most of my problems still lie.

My understanding of the situation is that resistance training improves the strength of not just muscle, but also the supporting infrastructure - tendons, ligaments, and bones. In fact, I believe I've read that a lifetime of resistance training is a good way to help reduce ones risk of osteoperosis.

For example, I can't imagine that one could go from benching say, 180 to benching 300 w/o the supporting infrastructure becoming stronger in the process.

Doing a quick search on the web here's something that backs this up:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/05may/ebben.htm

(SNIP)

Women who practice the same well-designed strength training programs as men benefit from bone and soft-tissue modeling,......

Table 1. Strength Training Benefits for Women*
-Enhanced bone modeling to increase bone strength and reduce the risk of osteoporosis
-Stronger connective tissues to increase joint stability and help prevent injury

(/SNIP)

[ 07-08-2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: CortaJaca ]
PreBronze
Hey, thanks a lot. I didn't know that. I thought I was totally doomed.

Though I'm not sure eating ligaments and tendons would work... Besides, I kinda want to steer clear of eating plates of dead connective tissue and stuff... (not trying to be mean, just messing with you dude. thanks for the advice [Smile] ).

I'm going to go run around ecstatically now [Super] [Dance] [Cheers]

PreChampionship
Picture of Egoist
I hear a supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin (sp?) helps rebuild connective tissue (tendons and ligaments). I don't know how truthful this is, but my osteopath recommended it to me (she thinks I injure too easily).
PreBronze
quote:
My understanding of the situation is that resistance training improves the strength of not just muscle, but also the supporting infrastructure - tendons, ligaments, and bones
I am also not a health expert, but I believe there is not much you can do to strengthen ligaments, since ligaments connect bone to bone. Tendons on the other hand connect muscle to bone and it would make sense that resistance training could strengthen them. But I would love to be shown that I am wrong.

PreBronze
quote:
But I would love to be shown that I am wrong.

I would not. That would make tendon damage permanent damage, which sucks incredibly.
PreBronze
quote:
Originally posted by VTdancer:
quote:
My understanding of the situation is that resistance training improves the strength of not just muscle, but also the supporting infrastructure - tendons, ligaments, and bones
I am also not a health expert, but I believe there is not much you can do to strengthen ligaments, since ligaments connect bone to bone. Tendons on the other hand connect muscle to bone and it would make sense that resistance training could strengthen them. But I would love to be shown that I am wrong.
Based on what I'm reading, one can most definitely strengthen ligaments via resistance training. *Since treatments for injuries can obviously vary based on the degree of severity, I wouldn't recommend doing resistance training for an injury willy nilly w/o the input of a qualified physician.*

For me the keyword is prevention. I'd rather do the exercises now, to prevent the injuries from happening in the first place - though I realize that this does not apply to the original poster's knee.

In addition to the original article to which I linked mentioning the ability to strengthen ligaments, here's some possibly relevant abstract excerpts from pubmed at NIH (if anyone were interested in the full text of the article, I could probably have the librarian at @ my work snag it for you):
-------------------------------------------
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=8655614&dopt=Abstract

Effects of early motion on healing of musculoskeletal tissues.

"...Experimental studies of the past several decades confirm and help explain the deleterious effects of prolonged rest and the beneficial effects of activity on the musculoskeletal tissues. They have shown that maintenance of structure and composition of normal bone, tendon and ligament, articular cartilage and muscle, requires repetitive use and that changes in the patterns of tissue loading can strengthen or weaken normal tissues...."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=9302572&dopt=Abstract

Tendons and ligaments--an overview.

"...Consideration is also given to the structure and function of tendon sheaths and to the dramatic effects of exercise and deprivation on tendons and ligaments-exercise strengthens, but even relatively short periods of immobilisation can dramatically weaken tendons and ligaments..."

---------------------------------
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=9800459&dopt=Abstract

Ligament injuries of the ankle--what happens later? Non-surgical treatment is effective in 80-90 per cent of cases

"...In more than 90 per cent of all cases, it is a question of lateral ligament injury. The recommended acute treatment is always non-surgical, with range of motion training, followed by strengthening and co-ordination exercises. Approximately 80-90 per cent of all ligament injury patients regain normal ankle function after this form of treatment..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list _uids=11104400&dopt=Abstract

Healing and repair of ligament injuries in the knee.

"....Experimentation using animal models has helped to define the effects of ligament location, associated injuries, intrinsic factors, surgical repair, reconstruction, and exercise on ligament healing...."

Note: obviously nothing definitive in this abstract, but the full text would go into the details of exercise and ligament healing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=2403185&dopt=Abstract

The effect of enforced exercise on the healing of ligament injuries.

"...Rats with intact secondary valgus stabilizers (medial capsule and anterior cruciate ligament) that swam daily for either 5 (moderate) or 15 (near exhaustion) minutes were found to have increases in the tensile strength of the femur, medial collateral ligament, tibia complex as compared to rats that did not swim...."

--------------------------------------------
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=9018611&dopt=Abstract

The effects of exercise on ligamentous stiffness in the wrist.

---------------------------------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=1615257&dopt=Abstract

NOTE: Another one w/o details in the abstract, but the full text looks to be interesting if anyone wanted it.

Effects of physical activity on some components of the skeletal system.

------------------------------

Also I repeat my disclaimer above:

Since treatments for injuries can obviously vary based on the degree of severity, I wouldn't recommend doing resistance training for an injury willy nilly w/o the input of a qualified physician.

[ 07-11-2002, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: CortaJaca ]

PreBronze
Picture of Monika
Yes you can strengthen tendons! However, this takes time, and must be done progressively. Resistance and strength training are the key. I am a pesonal trainer specializing in training dancers, and having suffered through many injuries myself, I've learned that intelligent strength training is the way to go Smiler. It will not hinder your dance abilities, but rather improve your technique and prevent future injuries!

Ligaments are more tricky. Once they have been injured, they will never get their elasticity back- So be careful and try not to injure them in the first place!

Check out this article about dance fitness- It explains why dancers should cross train http://danceproject.ca/dance-fitness/