Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dancing for God Login/Join

<MICrzy>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I know this may sound crazy, but do any dancers actually "pray" or feel they are "dancing for God" when they compete. I find this works for me to calm the nerves and also to cope with feelings of being "jealous" of other competitors, or fear of judges, etc. Are there other dancers who "pray" (or maybe "meditate")?

<GirlDancer>
I have always felt my dancing was a gift from God and so at times I have danced for or to Him. It is a wonderful feeling when this happens because I dance much better than my level would indicate and it is alot more fun and satisfying for me and my partner. And you're right, this helps to relax me and take my mind off the judges and to feel more at ease with the other dancers on the floor.

<aaa>
ABSOLUTELY!!!
<:o(>
ugggh c'mon give me a break. Dancing "for" God? Pleazzzzze. If that's the case, we shouldn't pay taxes right?

PreChampionship
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
quote:
Originally posted by (:
ugggh c'mon give me a break. Dancing "for" God? Pleazzzzze. If that's the case, we shouldn't pay taxes right?

Please don't belittle people for their beliefs. They're posting here because they believe in what they're saying and it's important to them. If you don't agree, at least pose a credible argument...but in this case, it's a matter of how you feel inside. So lay off.

Jennifer

PreBronze
Anything that you can do well -- those are God given talents. Yes, I pray and thank God for the ability to dance, and to do it well. I ask for His guidance and to allow me to do well. I give Him the credit for allowing me to do this. Of course, I have to practice and develop what He gave me.

I thank Him that I have a perfectly healthy body, two arms, two legs. These are things we take for granted. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have what we take for granted.

Yes, when I pray it puts me at ease. After all, it is the peace that passes all understanding!

PreBronze
BTW, what does not paying taxes have to do with dancing? Sorry, I missed the analogy.

The Bible says to "pay to Caesar what is Caesars and to pay to God what is Gods." Doesn't this mean that if the law says we must pay taxes, then we must do what the law says?

<agnostic>
Just speaking in general about religion and God. I go back and forth sometimes with believing there is a purpose in life and a higher being, to other times that there is no real purpose and that we create meaning.

I think Dance is so much a celebration or joys of life, but as we can see from other posts, it can also reflect the sorrows.

There have been statistics that people are turning away from churches, etc. and no longer finding it relevant. Yet, I know a lot of people who do go religiously to church.

I don't, yet I alter between believing and not believing. Has anyone else had these feelings?

I love to dance, and I try to find meaning in this activity psychologically. I think you need to believe in something/higher purpose but we've all been brought up in a scientific age so it gets challenging sometimes to have complete faith. I know I will never be a world champion, but I struggle with finding faith that I can better myself.

<GirlDancer>
Dear Agnostic,

I read your post a few weeks ago and was touched by it and felt a need to write to you but didn't (I figured someone else would answer you). I should have written to you then but now will have to suffice.

I used to have the feelings you're talking about. Over time these "feelings" and "thoughts" became "questions" for which I received answers. I found that these answers came to me sometimes quickly, sometimes weeks or months later. I found that if I wasn't paying attention to what was going on in my life, I could miss some of what I wanted to know!

You are on a wonderful path and will find the answers you are looking for and you will, over time, know these answers to be correct. You will not have to wonder, you will know.

Good luck and have fun along the path in your search for the truth!

PreBronze
I thank G-d (almost!) daily for my hobby. I really try to remember to do it. Happy dancing!