forums.danceScape.com
Blacks in Ballroom

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/221106172/m/439108372

07-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Pamela Callender
Blacks in Ballroom
I took a team of Ballroom competitors to the Millenium in Tampa Florida a couple weeks ago. Out of three hundred students, I have a very strong attendance of black dancers. In fact, out of the fourteen students, there are six and one half black, and one columbian. Those who did not show up include a french girl, russian boy, mexicans, pueto rican, and jamaican. I call them my international flavors. there are so many students, (middle school and high school age) we just hired an African American male teacher from Virginia.

Spats Continental
World Youth Ballroom Dance Competition and Social
October 14 & 15, 2006
Manatee Convention Center, Haben Blvd. Palmetto, Florida
Open to the public

(941) 932-2993
spatscats1@aol.com

Spats Continental is a worldwide open invitation to hundreds of youth, amateur only, Ballroom dance couples. Championship titles from Spats Continental will award expenses paid to qualifying competitions for the Junior Olympics and World Games, sanctioned by Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) and USA Dance, and up to $10,000 in scholarship awards to further their dance education.

Friday, October 14 begins with registration and all day workshops. This is an invitation to schools, for a field trip opportunity, and is - FREE - to educators and students in a party of ten or more.

Friday 7:00pm: doors open for the team challenge, Razzle Dazzle Award, followed by the Hanger Dance social with California swing band, Lavay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers. Costumes from any swing period are encouraged. Tickets are $15.00 at the door, $12.00 in advance, open to the public.

Saturday 8:00am – 6:00pm: competitors vie for championship and scholarship titles. Spectators' tickets are $5.00 at the door.

Saturday 8:00pm – midnight: International Cabaret and Showcase divisions with general dancing open to the public. Spectator tickets are $10.00 at the door.

There are over three hundred youth amateur Ballroom students in Manatee County anxious to host, and eager to share this experience with spectators. This is a one of a kind, not to miss, interactive event of the year!

Spats Continental is co-sponsored by Spats Youth Dance Sport Foundation, Florida Gulf Coast Sports Commission (FGCSC), and Manatee School For the Arts (MSA).
07-09-2006, 12:26 PM
atucf
Way to go Pamela!!!!!!!!!
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Yvonne
Sammie and Pamela,
Thanks for your efforts to encourage Blacks and other persons of color to participate in ballroom dancing. Whether it's grade schoolers or adults, there is much to be gained by having people learn to dance.

Best wishes for continued success to both of you!