forums.danceScape.com
Money

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/221106172/m/971104772

04-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Merengue Man
Money
Let's say you were willing to sacrifice everything to dance, and, of course, live (in the non-aesthetic context of the term)

How much money would you need? (As far as a salary)

Lessons: 75$ a week, Once a week
Competition: Average about $500 every month
The cheapest freakin apartment ever (with heating, and shower of course)

Also factor in food, medical etc.
04-10-2003, 06:44 AM
Joe
All play and no work makes Merengue Man, *cough* I mean Jack, a very poor boy.
04-10-2003, 09:51 PM
psbd
Is food an absolute necessity?
04-10-2003, 10:34 PM
quickquickslow
$500 a month for comps?! How did you come up with that?
04-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Joe
Maybe he does pro/am.
04-11-2003, 08:57 AM
psbd
Joe, no if he were doing pro/am it would be higher!
05-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Smiley
You would need to have about $2500 a month, to allow for lessons and cost of living expenses. To be a "serious" ballroom dancer, you need to have a fair amount of money for lessons, costumes and competitions. It's so much more expensive here in the U.S. than in Europe.
05-15-2006, 05:16 PM
EliseS
Smilerey,

Could you break that down? I would like to compare.

I do international pro/am (silver) and my costs are:
~200/wk lessons
competitions vary greatly by locality:
Local: 750
Driving distance +hotel (2 nights): 1450
Flight (US) +hotel (2 nights): ~2200

Costume ~200/month (can't afford more)
Shoes ~100/month (cant find any to fit...!)

Other: ~200/month

Of course these include the costs for my coach - who is actually quite reasonable but usually there is only me to foot the bill.

Anyone else like to compare?

Elise
05-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Smiley
Elise, that's a ton of money you are shelling out. $200/week for lessons? Are your costs monthly or is some of it yearly? Otherwise, you must have quite the income to afford it. I'm on hiatus now from private lessons and competitions. Hope to be able to go back into it later this year. There's been a lot of discussion on this board about the costs of ballroom dancing. Some say it is outrageous; others say its reasonable. It depends on how much a person is willing to pay out. I will say that most likely the dance teachers are making a lot more than I do which is why I had to bow out of dancing as long as I have (over a year).
05-16-2006, 07:41 PM
EliseS
SMiley,

[For some reason your name always makes me smile...]

Sorry to hear that you have had to bow out - perhaps you could find someone who is interested in practise sessions? Surely there is some studio that you could go to and at least keep familiar? Its so hard to go back once you stop for over a year or two - been there and done it.

Yes, I am spending a fortune - but in pro/am if you don't have a lesson, you don't get to practise - and I have been unable to find a place in Toronto where competition level dancers dance with each other, rather than just thier partners. Its one of my beefs!!

Well, keep your fingers crossed 'cause I may have found a partner. Its early days yet - we've only had one lesson together - but we are almost perfectly matched (at silver level) with me tall (5'10") and him taller (6'2"). I'm trying not to get too excited as I know very little about him and it could yet fall apart.

So if that works out my costs will plummet to a very managable level. The lesson bill will drop to at least 2/3rd (I still need one private by myself) but the competition bill will be almost eliminated. Cross your fingers, I may be able to eat again!!!

But you, you HAVE to find a way to keep some dancing. If you are anything like me at all, and I suspect most of us adicts are (they didn't call them that here for nothing), then you will not be happy unless there is some swish in your life.

Elise