Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

folk dance recordings Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Can anyone suggest where I can purchase folk dance recordings. Been a Folk dancer for 12 years, and our group would like some new recordings. Thank you.
Championship
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I would try looking for the Country Dance and Song Society on line (CDS) or The Folk Arts Center of New England. These are both non-profit organizations so I think I'm allowed to put in the addresses. The Folk Arts Center is www.facone.org and CDS is www.cdss.org or you can try www.cds-boston.org. I haven't checked out their sites for folk dance recordings but they should be a good source.

What type of folk dancing do you do? Folk Arts handles more international folk dancing; CDS is mostly American and English.

PreBronze
quote:
Originally posted by Ruth:
I would try looking for the Country Dance and Song Society on line (CDS) or The Folk Arts Center of New England. These are both non-profit organizations so I think I'm allowed to put in the addresses. The Folk Arts Center is www.facone.org and CDS is www.cdss.org or you can try www.cds-boston.org. I haven't checked out their sites for folk dance recordings but they should be a good source.

What type of folk dancing do you do? Folk Arts handles more international folk dancing; CDS is mostly American and English.

Thanks Ruth, I havee ordered from cdss, also from www.greekmusic.com
As for Folk Dancing I dance all sorts, Romanian, Bulgarian, etc. What kind of dancing do you do?

PreBronze
Laurie:
Try ARC Music. They have a huge selection of all kinds of folk music form all countries- some I have never even heard of. http://www.arcmusic.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by laurie1125:
Can anyone suggest where I can purchase folk dance recordings. Been a Folk dancer for 12 years, and our group would like some new recordings. Thank you.

Championship
Hi Laurie. Other than Greek dancing, I've only dabbled in international folk like Romanian or Bulgarian, but I love the music and the mood of the little bit I've done. I did a lot of English (country dancing, Morris, and sword) in my teens, and I've done tons of American contras and squares. Any place that has belly dancing also has Greek dancing as well as a few other Middle Eastern dances, so I know those since I am/was a belly dancer.

Just as an aside, I recently went to the 80th birthday party for a guy who was big in the Greek/Armenian music scene in New England in the 50s, 60s, 70, and 80s, and it was a lot of fun hearing all the people who were part of it talking about what it was like back then. And here's a bit of fun trivia for you: the woman who appears on the cover of a 1958 record called "The Seventh Veil" as a Solome type dancer, is now the official witch of Salem, Mass.

There's another thread where I was saying something about stage presence, and when I think about it, all the different types of dancing each have their own persona that I put on when I do them. The mood of the dance is reflected in posture, facial expression, footwork, energy level and so forth. I think this adds a lot to your own enjoyment and how good you look. It would be sort of fun to try to figure out what "feel" each of the different international dances has.

Gee, I must be really anxious to avoid getting to work if I'm babbling on so! In any case, good luck with your music search!