danceScape.com    forums.danceScape.com    Forums - Live, Love, Laugh ... Dance!  Hop To Forum Categories  MUSIC for the Soul  Hop To Forums  Ballroom & Big Band    Bring Standard Music into the 21st Century
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bring Standard Music into the 21st Century Login/Join

Gold
Picture of Tango2x2
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Some nice Waltz musics:

1. "Belonging" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Once in a Red Moon (Track 7)
2. "Dreamcatcher" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Dreamcatcher (Track 4) or Dawn of a New Century (Track 4)
3. "Song from a Secret Garden" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Dreamcatcher (Track 6) or Songs from a Secret Garden (Track 3)
4. "Evensong" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Dawn of a New Century (Track 8)
5. "Appassionata" Artist: Secret Garden CD: White Stones (Track 9)
6. "Nocturne" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Songs from a Secret Garden (Track 1) or Dreamcatcher (Track 1)
7. "Pastorale" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Songs from a Secret Garden (Track 2)
8. "Papillon" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Songs from a Secret Garden (Track 5)
9. "Serenade to Spring" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Songs from a Secret Garden (Track 6)
PreBronze
Try the waltzes in Bassano Open 3, Rimini Open 3, Sicilia Open 3, and Ballroom Classic 5. They are all quite decent (w/ some bad ones...there's just this one Italian guy singing just never impressed me. He was also featured in Bobby & Bill Irvine 3.)

Tango - I like all the ones composd by Novelli.

I have to agree that new trends is absent in the slow foxtrot department. Even V. Waltz got Harry Potter's theme, someone's better think up of some good slow foxtrot soon...Although I liked Sinkinson's interpretation of Elvis Castello's Toledo and Celine's The Prayer for his slow foxtrot show dances, these could hardly be played for competition.

Championship
quote:
Originally posted by Laura Fan:

I have to agree that new trends is absent in the slow foxtrot department.

It occurs to me that part of the problem with slowfox may be that the traditional feel requires a vocalist backed up by a full big band, possibly with some strings added. And these instrumentalists need to be real musicians, with the skill to interact with the singer in a way a synthesizer just won't. So you don't exactly get singer/songwriter types creating foxtrots, because they can't afford to tour with a group that big. And most of the musicians who could create stuff like this will choose to do faster swing numbers that are probably more popular (I wonder if a smaller combo can sound fuller at high tempo wheras it might sound dead at slowfox speed).

Somoene should get a collegiate a cappela group to do a slowfox or two... bet they could pull it off, and it would be an interesting change, even if it was just a cover of an old standard (actually I'm listening to Monty Python's Bright Side of Life as I write this, and they've used voices to complement a rhythm section and create a rather complete sound).

Got to find this Harry Potter V.Waltz...
PreBronze
Chris, Harry Potter theme is in Ballroom Classics 5.

Championship
quote:
Originally posted by Laura Fan:
Chris, Harry Potter theme is in Ballroom Classics 5.

Now that I listen to it again, I have to disagree with the characterization of this as Viennese Waltz. We played an arrangement of this theme during my orchestra's pops concert this spring, and I never once thought of it that way even at home where I had the freedom to accentuate it any way I wanted - the almost doubly dotted rhythm used to give it that spooky feel just doesn't have the flowing vwaltz character. Sure, you can do it, but it's forced - it's like watching someone dancing slow waltz with the rise and fall happening at the wrong time in the measure.
PreChampionship
Picture of 90%Attitude
Tango mentioned Secret Garden CD. I'd only heard one track, so I got a few more. Beautiful stuff, even if only to listen to! I haven't gotten a chance to dance any of them yet, but I also liked Aquarell on Dawn of a New Century.

Championship
quote:
Originally posted by 90%Attitude:
Tango mentioned Secret Garden CD. I'd only heard one track, so I got a few more. Beautiful stuff, even if only to listen to! I haven't gotten a chance to dance any of them yet, but I also liked Aquarell on Dawn of a New Century.

Carefull... I've managed several times now to 'overdose' on recent discoveries of wonderful music by listening to it too often around the house and in practice sessions. Nothing has gotten to the point where I can't stand it anymore, but some songs aren't quite as special as they once were.
PreChampionship
Picture of 90%Attitude
No danger. Large music collection available. And now, to make it worse, there's Kazaa [Big Grin]

Silver
quote:
Originally posted by Tango2x2:
Some nice Waltz musics:

2. "Dreamcatcher" Artist: Secret Garden CD: Dreamcatcher (Track 4) or Dawn of a New Century (Track 4)

Did an awesome (if I do say so myself) showcase Waltz to this...I performed it like 3 or 4 times, the first time you could hear a pin drop in the audience...it was like man nobody likes it...in the end I had several folks give me a standing 'O'. It really is a great song!!!!
PreChampionship
Picture of 90%Attitude
quote:
actually I'm listening to Monty Python's Bright Side of Life as I write this, and they've used voices to complement a rhythm section and create a rather complete sound
Yah, Chris - "Sunny Side of Life". Come to think of it, that song also came complete with its own choreography...