New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current Music Login/Join

<&lt;Dancer5524&gt;>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi everyone!

I'm part of a college ballroom club and in order to keep the interest of new members, I'm trying to find some music that you can dance to that they'd recognize as well. Pop music that can be used as ballroom music is basically what I'm trying to put together. I'm still reading through the suggestions that are here, but I thought maybe some of you had some good ideas! I appreciate your impute!

Dancer5524
Dancer5524@aol.com http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/dancer5524/index.html

Silver
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
It's easier to suggest Latin music, so I'll start. Forget about Paso Doble, for now. Wait until the men are really hooked into dance and realize how appealing they are to the girls when they do a good Paso
ChaCha is easy. Try Let's Get Loud by Jennifer Lopez; Smooth by Santana; Dimelo (I Need to Know) by Marc Anthony (get the Spanish version, it's much better); I Like It Like That by Tito Puente; Lady Marmalade (almost any version will do); Dance With Me by Debelah Morgan; The Cup Of Life by Ricki Martin; Mucho Mambo Sway by Shaft. These songs vary in tempo from slow (e.g. Smooth) to fast (e.g. Let's Get Loud).
For a Rumba, try Casi Un Bolero by Ricki Martin; El Reloj by Luis Miguel; Falling Into You by Celine Dion; La Playa by Chayanne; My All by Mariah Carey (instrumental); My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion; No Matter What by Boyzone.
For a Samba, try Bailamos by Enrique Iglesias; Agua Dulce Agua Sala by Julio Iglesias; Black Machine by Jazz Machine; Cult of Snap by Hi-Power; Maria by Ricki Martin; El Baile de l'Osito by Los Locos; Lola Lola by Ricki Martin; Spice Up Your Life by Spice Girls; One Night Man by Ricki Martin; Oyeme by Enrique Iglesias; Senora by Enrique Iglesias; Moliendo Cafe by Azucar Moreno; No Me Digas Adios by Azucar Moreno; Tic Tic Tac by Carrapicho; Festa de Um Povo by Carrapicho. (I could go on forever on this. I love Samba and am simply running through my collection and picking what I think would be familiar and/or easy to find).
For a Jive, try Mambo No. 5 by Lou Bega; Zoot Suit Riot by Cherry Poppin Daddies; Jump Jive 'n Wail by Brian Setzer Orchestra (very fast); Pennsylvania 6-5000 by Brian Setzer Orchestra; The Walkin' Blues by Royal Crown Revue. But the best jives are the oldies (imho), and the ones you get on specialty ballroom CD's, because they are the correct tempo. In that category, try Get Over It by the Eagles; Good Golly Miss Molly by Little Richard; Heatwave by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas; Hit The Road Jack by Jerry Lee Lewis; How You Carry On by Marcia Ball; In The Mood by Bette Midler; Jail House Rock by you know who; Lipstick Powder and Paint by Big Joe Turner; Little Bitty Pretty One (any version will do - I like Huey Lewis and the News, which is rather fast); Over and Over by Bobby Day; Shake Rattle and Roll (again, any version); Rockin' Robin (any version); Trickle Trickle by Manhattan Transfer; Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham.
This should do for starters. There are many more if you are interested in Swing, Mambo, Salsa, Hustle, etc.

PreBronze
Thank you, Crystal!

That should be plenty to get my search started!!! That's exactly the sort of selections I was looking for and I should be able to spice up our music without any problems! I really appreciate all the time you put into the list!!! Wow! I may return when I'm finished with these to ask about those other dances, but for now I'm really set!!! Thanks so ever so much!!!

Silver
Another good rumba is that Evita song..
I think it's called "I'd be good for you".
That is, if the students aren't too stuck up about listening to ALW (maybe that was just my school ).