forums.danceScape.com
The Dress Project -- Step-by-Step Latin Dress Construction

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/421106172/m/768107772

07-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Laura
The Dress Project -- Step-by-Step Latin Dress Construction
I'm using three layers of 18" "chainette" rayon fringe in the skirt. It is sewn on in a strip, with the seam sitting conveniently under the belt :-) The three layers are not stacked on top of each other, though. Rather, the second one is a little lower than the first, and so on, so as to reduce the amount of bulk at the seam.
07-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Chris Stratton
Actually, this thread reminds me - I wanted to ask about hem circles for the tighter variety of latin dress - the kind that often has a slit or asymmetrical hem. (For some reason, my standard partner has more immediate interest in being a test subject for latin costumes than standard ones)

It seems that these are nowhere near circle skirts. I went looking online and found instructions for drafting a tight social skirt for non-stretch fabrics, where you basically drop the hip circumference as a cylinder, perhaps even shrinking it a little at the hem. The top then uses darts as on a pair of slacks to take in the waist.

Trying to adjust that for dancing and stretch fabrics, I'm thinking one would copy the waist and hip pattern circumferences from the adjusted leotard (no darts) then drop that with perhaps a tiny amount of outward flare, and add a fairly high slit. But with negative ease in the hips, and lacking the weight of a full circle skirt, I'm afraid it might tend to ride up (like QQS's struggles of a few weeks ago).

The other thought is to go and follow the instructions I'm familiar with for drafting something between a frock coat and morning coat pattern to fit, as in some ways that's what the style of latin dress with a bit of a "tail" on the back and a higher slit front seems to resemble. And then start taking in the seams a bit at a time to account for the stretch of the fabric in question...

08-22-2003, 04:36 PM
yolanda4life
Sorry, this is more in reply to Laura's amazing talent then Chris's question.
Laura, this is yet another thread that shows your creativity. I LOVE the pinstripe dress. It's sophisticated, but the fringe adds the right amount of sass. Thanks for some great ideas and break downs of how to do it!
04-22-2005, 04:33 PM
bdimick
Hi Laura-

I went to your site yesterday and was impressed by your great work on your dresses. Would you be able to tell me where I can get/order a Dressmakers Curve? I would love to have one for myself. I have only been taking lessons with my husband for about 3 months now and am hooked on Ballroom! Any help would be really appreciated.

Bobbie
04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Laura
There are a couple of different kinds of dressmaker's curves. I happened to get both of mine at a large chain sewing/crafts store -- JoAnne Fabric to be precise. I think they were made by Dritz. You an also use a set of french curves (from architectual drawing sets).
04-24-2005, 08:48 PM
jivebelle
Laura, you're brilliant. That dress is so elegantly gorgeous. How does one get to your site to see your dresses? Thanks.
04-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Laura
Aww, thanks! That's so nice of you to say. I have a little personal online photo gallery of the things I've made at http://www.lagassa.com/dsi/cgi/liveframe.cgi/design and also at http://www.lagassa.com/dsi/cgi/liveframe.cgi/action

I haven't made anything in a while, although I've got a couple of ideas in the works.
04-25-2005, 05:31 PM
bdimick
Laura-

Thanks so much for the Curve info, greatly appreciated. I love all of your dresses and find you instruction extremely helpful. Would you happen to have any ideas for practice wear? I enjoy wearing black stretchy pants. Pattern recommendations would be great! Thanks again and please keep posting your fab pics!

Bobbie
04-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Laura
I really really really like KwickSew patterns. They have patterns for stretchy pants, various kinds of cute skirts that are good for practicing, and more besides.
05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Chris UK
Oh my goodness Laura, they're fantastic.

Regarding patterns, some of my work collegues have just returned from the San Jose, and rather than sending postcards or bringing back daft little souveniours (sorry can't spell that, will edit it when I next have the suitable available) they brought back a sewing pattern.

It looks great and just what I need, I hope...

Simplicity 4744.

Anyway, Laura, you are still a star!!
Chris

Oh, and the pale blue ballroom dress, can I ask, what's the fabric? (Looking for ideas at the moment.)