forums.danceScape.com
The Dress Project -- Step-by-Step Latin Dress Construction

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/421106172/m/768107772

05-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Laura
The Dress Project -- Step-by-Step Latin Dress Construction
Hi Chris! So nice to see you here!

I'm sorry to say, though, that I am not a fan of this pattern at all -- except as a teaching tool. I thought you'd made dresses from scratch before? If not, then this is a good a pattern to get started with. Once you get the basic technique, you can use what you've learned to graft other patterns together to get a more sophisticated look. I just think the dresses as shown on the envelope scream "home made." Make sure you stone the heck out of whatever you make -- I've found that more stones make pretty much any dress look better. When I started I'd put about 10 gross on per dress, now I can't see doing less than 40 gross! Smiler
06-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Chris UK
Hi Laura,
I think you have really managed to hit the nail on the head. I actually bought the pattern specifically as a teaching tool, as I have still never made a dress. I have so far, managed to to get away with buying something and then adapting it. Confused But now as I would like something specific, I will have to make it from scratch. Frowner

FIngers crossed.
11-30-2005, 12:01 AM
rapunzel
first of all, i am new to the site and to latin dance... after spending hours surfing the i-net for a basic pattern and/or guide book for dress construction, i think i have found my answer!!! i have to wing it! unless anyone has suggestions? i am an experienced seamstress (which is what drew me into the world of dance actually) so im really not worried about constructing my own patterns, but i have not tackled the interesting design elements i see in many of the skirts and dresses... any ideas out there?
02-11-2009, 06:28 PM
maryjstar89
interesting post. thanks a lot!
11-19-2013, 03:04 AM
Anne Fletcher
Different, useful and interesting really amazing, I am gona start this out really liked it.