The Dress Project -- Step-by-Step Ballgown Construction

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/421106172/m/470106472

02-02-2002, 09:51 AM
<&lt;Joe&gt;>
The Dress Project -- Step-by-Step Ballgown Construction
quote:
Originally posted by <technowiz>:
think about it this way -- lots of people find posting pix on websites easy. i find it hilarious that you can't figure out how to do it but you can do something complicated like a dress.
to post pix, ya just need to click on the 'image' button code when ya post the message.

All very well and dandy...I have a hi-speed link, but not everyone does, and I know if I were on dialup I'd find it annoying to wait to load pix. That's why I'd rather put up a site and just post a link here so those who aren't interested can just ignore the link. You can't really ignore pictures in the posts.
02-02-2002, 10:45 AM
<&lt;technowiz&gt;>
hee hee ... dial-up's are for Dinosaurs... get high on High-Speed, is my motto!
02-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Tango2x2
Laura:

Look at this dress on Ebay, # 1704122013. Auction ends at tonite 2-17, 20:41 pm. Same design on the skirt part as this one you made for Anna.
02-19-2002, 12:49 AM
Chris UK
quote:
Originally posted by <technowiz>:
hee hee ... dial-up's are for Dinosaurs... get high on High-Speed, is my motto!

Yes, but in the UK, who can actually afford a high speed link!!! (Unless you are actually with one of the Cable companies, but then they're still not that high speed!) [Razz]
02-18-2002, 10:41 PM
<&lt;Joe&gt;>
quote:
Originally posted by Tango2x2:
Laura:

Look at this dress on Ebay, # 1704122013. Auction ends at tonite 2-17, 20:41 pm. Same design on the skirt part as this one you made for Anna.

OMG! I can't believe someone paid $132.50 for this dress. I know someone who has this exact same dress and I'm pretty sure she didn't pay half that. The godets aren't even really chiffon, they're more like cheesecloth.
02-22-2002, 12:37 AM
Laura L
Ok, here it is, the final picture -- the dress in action! Swivel did the stoning herself, and did an awesome job. You should see the rather art-deco diamond in black and crystal on the front. If I get a picture I'll post it.

02-21-2002, 06:01 PM
<&lt;Happy Dancer&gt;>
Great Job Laura!! I was in Cal. Open past weekend to see this dress in action. This dress stood out on the floor.

You inspire me so much that I am going to make my own dress. My first project is to sew a leotard for a already made evening gown and add circle inserts to make the dress fuller. You might hear from me to ask you question when I get stucked!

Good luck in sewing.
02-21-2002, 07:03 PM
Tango2x2
Laura:

In the picture it appeared to be a black and white dress? My flavorite combination. Good job...
02-22-2002, 01:28 PM
<&lt;Happy Dancer&gt;>
Hi Laura,

What pattern did you use to make the dress. I am looking for a dress kind like Swival's with 8 panels.

Thanks
02-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Laura L
I started with McCall's 3439 but made many modifications to it, as you'll see if you look at a picture of the original pattern. 3439 did not have sleeves, and in fact did not even have shoulders (it's a spaghetti-strap dress). I also changed the neckline and the shape of the back.

I highly reccomend Style (Simplicity) 9033 as a starting point, but they only make that down to size 8. Vogue 8544 is good (starts at size 6). I'm also fond of McCall's 9177, which goes down to a size 4.

All of these make 7-panel princess-seamed dresses, and I just cut the front panel in half (rather than cutting it on the fold) to get 8 panels.

Laura