forums.danceScape.com
ESPN Television - Jumprope, Cheerleading & DanceSport?

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/512106172/m/821101772

08-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Egoist
ESPN Television - Jumprope, Cheerleading & DanceSport?
I can't believe I am watching the National Jumprope Championships on ESPN2 at 9:30 PM while the USABDA Nationals can't even make Lifetime or A&E on a weekend morning.

What the dealee, yo?!

Note: Title of thread edited to reflect discussion. Thanks for an interesting topic!

[ 08-09-2002, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: DanceScape ]
08-08-2002, 08:59 PM
90%Attitude
I can't believe you're watching it under ANY circumstances... [Roll Eyes]
08-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Merengue Man
I don't know who is more stupid: the people who shovel out the money to have jump-roping covered, or the people who watch it.

no offense.
08-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Joe
Yeah, but don't you know that those rope-jumpers are real athletes? It takes strength, conditioning, agility and timing to do all those tricks!
08-09-2002, 07:40 AM
<&lt;ballroomfreak&gt;>
Come on people... Not everyone adores ballroom dancing as much as we all do!! [Roll Eyes]
08-09-2002, 07:54 AM
Ithink
quote:
Originally posted by <ballroomfreak>:
Come on people... Not everyone adores ballroom dancing as much as we all do!! [Roll Eyes]

Yeah, but everyone simply adores jumproping! [Eek!]

But seriously, why would you ever watch jumproping championships in the first place? Maybe if people like you didn't watch it, it would be replaced by some quality programming... Seems to me your viewership is giving credance to questionable decisionmaking on ESPN2's part...
08-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Egoist
quote:
Originally posted by 90%Attitude:
I can't believe you're watching it under ANY circumstances... [Roll Eyes]

While I'd rather watch many other things on TV, ESPECIALLY dancesport, jumprope is not unentertaining at all and there was nothing better on (I kept flipping channels to find something better). These people are athletes and I am an admirer of athleticism; just the other day I was also semi-watching the national sport-aerobics championship (another "sport" that gets more exposure than dancesport gets!).

The point I was making is that it is ridiculous that jumproping (and sport-aerobics) enjoys better exposure than dancesport.

BTW, my viewing of anything on TV has no effect on the ratings since I don't have a box.
08-09-2002, 09:24 AM
just-started
could it be that ESPN and sponsors consider male their main viewership and rope-jumping etc are more appealing than ballroom dancing to this audience? PBS and A&E broadcasetdancesport as part of their art program?
08-09-2002, 11:12 PM
Laura
Who sponsored the jump-roping competition? If someone rounded up the funds to produce the program for ESPN, via corporate sponsorships, then that partly explains it. DanceSport in the US doesn't really have any big corporate sponsors any more, does it? I know there was that deal with Capezio, but that's just one sponsor. We need big mainstream sponsors with deep pockets...like cosmetic companies (Clairol or Revlon would be perfect, especially since so many women dye their hair and buy Revlon's fake hair pieces and extensions).

Laura
08-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Tango2x2
Now who sponsored the TV muscle women's competition? and cheerleader's competitions? [Big Grin]