forums.danceScape.com
West Coast Swing

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/551106172/m/333105572

02-19-2002, 12:27 AM
twnkltoz
West Coast Swing
Is anyone into WC Swing?

I went to my first convention this weekend, since my husband is strictly a swing dancer. It was the Capital Swing Dancers' annual convention in Sacramento, CA. It was a blast!
02-19-2002, 07:40 AM
Happy Feet
Hi, twnkltoz! I love East Coast Swing, but I'll do West, too....

We have it all here in NYC, too.... Whenever you get the chance to visit, let me
know, and I'll tell you where the West Coast places are....
02-20-2002, 12:42 AM
twnkltoz
My husband would love that! He's itching to go to New York again...I've never been.
02-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Happy Feet
Maybe you can talk hubby into a NYC trip! A bunch of us always goes to Swing Dance on the weekends!
02-19-2002, 06:16 PM
twnkltoz
weeeeeelllll....it'll be a while, but some day! [Smile]
05-23-2002, 10:41 AM
twnkltoz
I'd still love to hear from any WC swingers...I'm going to the Fresno dance convention this weekend (it's about half country, half club dances). It's going to be fun!
07-30-2002, 08:35 PM
Bob B
Ive been attending Dance Weekends for several years now. Usually I can only get one night in , but occasionally I can do all three. The best Events are the mixed ones. They do WCS Swing Hustle Salsa and more depnding on the venue. Jack @ Jill events are fun too, because you can win some $$ if you compete and do well. They draw the priz off the entry pool. My WCS is weak, but I enjoy the dance nonetheless . Someday Ill get around to taking steady lessons. Ive only done workshops to date. In NY The Gotham Swing Club is the premier WCS club. Look them up if you hit the East Coast. You wont be disappointed. Just this weekend was a great eevnt - They had HUstle WCS Salsa divisions for each. Lots of fun. [Dance]
07-31-2002, 12:16 PM
twnkltoz
The great thing about WCS comps is that they don't care whether you're a teacher or not...you dance according to your ability level. And I love the jack n jills! Our local club has a dance every month with varying levels of jnj...this month I did the novice and came in 4th out of 12 couples...I was happy! [Smile]
07-31-2002, 09:56 PM
Bob B
I dont understand. What do you mean by that? Ballroom comps they usually compete at the ability level too.
I think what you refer to hs more to do with the abilty level of "instructors" . In WCS Swing, Hustle Salsa Events , the unwritten rule is that "Invited" Instructors- Translation - the best - dont compete unless they do the Pro division- whereas generic instructors whos proficiency level is lower in the dance can compete at whatever level they feel comfortable in. There is a fine line between "Advanced", "Gold" competitors and "Pro" competitors too which occasionally leads to bump ups. I saw that happen last year. A guy won the advanced Just Hustle Divison, then won the Pro division for something else. He was allowed tokeep only one and told he had to bump p to pro from now on.
08-01-2002, 12:21 AM
twnkltoz
Well, a couple of things...first of all, there is generally no am or pro distinctions, people just dance in the category they're qualified for. Second, the point system seems to be adhered to a little more strictly than in ballroom...when people are supposed to move up, they generally do, and they rarely move up before they should. That's not so well adhered to in ballroom.