Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Bachata Login/Join

Silver
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Just wondered if anyone here does the Bachata. As far as I know no one here does and I have not heard of it in any of the local studios and no classes are offered for this dance.
Championship
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Is that a Brazillian Samba thing? If so, then they teach it at the studio where I usually take lessons and practice.

PreChampionship
I do a fair amount of Bachata. There's usually at least one Bachata set played in the clubs, sometimes more. I even saw it taught once at a studio, but that's the only time I've ever seen anyone actually teach it. The guys I've danced with seem to have little variations, based on where they come from - as in more or less flat-footed, closer-hold or looser-hold, with a little kind of hitch on the 4, more top less bottom and vice-versa, or a forward and backward twisting step that reminds me a little of Montana Two-Step. There seem to be a lot of Latin guys who get here knowing Bachata, but I see the very same guys struggle in Salsa classes. A few guys will do simple turns, but that's rare. I only know a couple of guys who do all the above and will actually make up stuff as we go along.

I flatly refuse to dance Bachata with the guys who think it's a bun-grabbing grind thing (for some reason, always Mexican guys - dunno why.) There seem to be two minds about Bachata amongst the salseros around here. The majority use Bachata breaks for a rest and a drink. The rest dance straight through, but will often change partners just for the Bachata sets. A few guys have told me they have particular partners they like for Bachata.

I actually like the dance as it's simple, and I use it to cool down after dancing Salsa. I've thought from time to time that it should be possible to do a whole lot more with Bachata than I've seen done so far. I'd have to log some floor time to figure all that stuff out, but it's 4/4 and just about anything that works in the other dances should only need a minor adjustment. Maybe I'll mess around with it a little this coming weekend and see what we come up with.
PreBronze
I've seen the club version of this done - it was a little like merenge except there was a hip lift thingy at the end i.e., da da da right lift-hippy-shake da da da left lift-hippy-shake ...etc.. I think someone told me there are variations of the hip thing as well.

Silver
Quote:

Is that a Brazillian Samba thing? If so, then they teach it at the studio where I usually take lessons and practice.

It originated in the Dominican Republic and the description is not like samba. I understand that it's three steps to the left and turn your hip to the right and then vise versa. Something like that.
PreChampionship
Bachata has american rumba timing. Most of the music sounds cheap (especially the strings) and they all sound the same. Juan Luis Guerra has a few good ones, but he is the exception. The dance is pretty simple and unexciting.

PreChampionship
The Samba thing you may be thinking of is the Bossa Nova, a very slow Samba, it is also a very slow boring movie with Amy Irving in it. Not a dance movie whatsoever.
<Anonymous>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Quote:

Just wondered if anyone here does the Bachata. As far as I know no one here does and I have not heard of it in any of the local studios and no classes are offered for this dance.

Hi there!
The best way I have heard Bachata described is in an article describing latin club dances as..."side, together, side, grind".
So, that "hip-lift thing" at the end is actually supposed to be a bit more involved than a "lift" of the hip. Non-Latin or beginner dancers will tend to do a big lift of their hip after the side-together-side. BUT, that takes away from the rhythmical/tropical feeling of the dance.
As one of the other writers put it, it was born out of the Dominican Republic...now, if you have ever seen a Dominican guy dance Bachata, you'll know EXACTLY what I mean! Phew!

PreBronze
Yep, the Bachata is Dominican ... I was at a Latin club and saw/learned it. A lot of Bachata is played on Latin radio ... but at a recent ballroom dance no one knew how to dance it when the music was played!
PreBronze
So, out of curiosity, why was it being played? Did the DJ not know their music? (Sort of like comp DJs who play salsas for American Rhythm Mambo... )