danceScape.com    forums.danceScape.com    Forums - Live, Love, Laugh ... Dance!  Hop To Forum Categories  Shall we DANCE?  Hop To Forums  Salsa & Mambo    Salsa practice; a problem here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salsa practice; a problem here Login/Join

Silver
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I've been attending Salsa classes for three years now and though I have learned a lot, I am forgetting more then I can remember; the problem or a big part of it is that the studios here don't play much Salsa music at their dances. Usually two at the most and it's hard to get any good practice this way. The reason usually given is that not many people get out on the floor to dance Salsa.

Anyone else experiencing this with Salsa or other dances.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Ghostdancer ]

Championship
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Do you have options outside of going to studio parties? Like a club, or a college or community center party?

There's still LOTS of salsa in San Francisco, in the studios and in clubs.

Good luck hunting!

Hey, maybe you can organize your own salsa party and get other salseros in your area to join in?

Laura

Silver
quote:
Originally posted by Laura La Gassa:
Do you have options outside of going to studio parties? Like a club, or a college or community center party?

There's still LOTS of salsa in San Francisco, in the studios and in clubs.

Good luck hunting!

Hey, maybe you can organize your own salsa party and get other salseros in your area to join in?

Laura

The Salsa clubs? the floors are too small and are packed; there's no room for much outside of the basic move. The community college here does give classes, but no dances. As for my own party; that's a thought, I ought to dicuss that.

<&lt;Sharon&gt;>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
In my area (Toronto) two salsa studios have combined to offer once a month "practise" parties for their students at a location that offers a large dance floor and unpolluted air (smoking is not permitted there, unlike the situation at most nightclubs). Perhaps this is an option for people in your area, and most particularly, for non-smokers.

Silver
quote:
Originally posted by <Sharon>:
In my area (Toronto) two salsa studios have combined to offer once a month "practise" parties for their students at a location that offers a large dance floor and unpolluted air (smoking is not permitted there, unlike the situation at most nightclubs). Perhaps this is an option for people in your area, and most particularly, for non-smokers.

Unfortunately none of the studios here offer a night that is strictly for Salsa and since the ballroom scene here is at a low point I don't know if there would be much of a response, but I could suggest this to the instructor of the class I attend every Tuesday.

Don't plan on going to Toronto anytime soon, but at least I'll know where to go if I did.

PreBronze
I don't know if there would be much of a response, but I could suggest this to the instructor of the class I attend every Tuesday.

PreBronze
I have been salsa dancing for just under 2 years now. For the first 1 and a half years I have been doing just salsa classes, and didn't really learn anything I could take home. In the last six months I have been very evangelical in practising my moves after the class in order to memorise them for good. My movement has improved a lot, and I'm well on my way to becoming a competent salsa dancing in social dancing, and social dancing is a lot more fun than boring salsa classes. I would suggest that you move to a better salsa club that plays more salsa music, and stop taking classes.