danceScape.com    forums.danceScape.com    Forums - Live, Love, Laugh ... Dance!  Hop To Forum Categories  Shall we DANCE?  Hop To Forums  Ballet    Ballet / Dance - Tell us your story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballet / Dance - Tell us your story Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Did you used to think you were Prima Ballerina?

Do you wish you never gave up Ballet?
Can you tell us why you gave it up?

Do you know someone with an interesting story who gave up dancing years ago?

If this sounds like you / someone you know please contact us on the following. Please provide full details of the person and their story: -

Email: dreams@itv.com
Phone: 020 7737 8760
PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
How do I begin a story like this? I started dancing when I was 3. My mom placed me in jazz, tap and ballet. Even gymnastics for a little while. As the years passed my mother kept telling me that I have to give something up-she couldn't keep up with all the lessons and we all know dance lessons aren't cheap either so each years I'd give something up until there was only ballet. Now I have to tell you I don't exactly have the personality of a ballet dancer. I'm very loud and seemed more like I should be doing jazz. not to stereo-type anyone I mean no offense to anyone reading this. I danced through high school and decided to go to college for dancing. I got accepted to the geoffrey school of ballet in new york but was way to scared to leave my family. I even had a scholarship so I went to Universtiy of Iowa where I graduated with a degree in bachlors of fine arts in ballet and modern. I came back to chicago and was taking classes downtown and was working as a nurses assistant. I was saving money because I wanted to go to L.A. I wasn't sure I wanted the whole company position but I was going to see what was out there. I ended up hurting my back pretty bad and the people at the hospital I worked for weren't really helping me. It took them 3 months before they even considered doing a MRI. They found out I had two herniated disks in my lower back and they were occluding my siatic nerve. They wanted to do surgery but I wouldn't let them so I had many shots in my spine and physical theraphy for 1 whole year. Needless to say I couldn't dance that whole time and I thought my life was over. When it was over with I felt like I couldn't get back into dancing that it would be way to hard to regain what I had lost. I stopped dancing for 6 years but.. I just started again and it kills me to hear these people on this site talk about people joining to late! It's never to late. My flexability never went away and my love and dedication are stronger than ever- no I will never be a prima- I'm way to tall anyways but I will perform again and I promise to who ever is reading this give me a year and I will perform somewhere or somehow. Dancing is a way of life. It never leaves you! One of the best instructors I ever had stopped dancing when she was 23 but went back and danced in a professional company at the age of thirty. It doesn't happen often but it can so to anyone reading this dance like there is no tomorrow dance like you life depends on it. Love it, breathe it and have fun. Dreams can come true! Maybe I won't dance professional again but I will still dance! That is what is most important isn't it???

PreBronze
AIM: Online Status For kiwiberrytwist28@aim.com
^ "...to anyone reading this dance like there is no tomorrow dance like you life depends on it. Love it, breathe it and have fun. Dreams can come true! Maybe I won't dance professional again but I will still dance! That is what is most important isn't it???"

I just wanted to thank you for saying something so moving and inspirational! I know what you mean and It's nice seeing others live for ballet the way I do ^_^. Good luck with dancing, and you should keep us all updated on your story! Again thank you for saying what you did.

*mesa*
PreBronze
Picture of Roselyn
Yahoo IM
I was quite a chubby kid when I started taking ballet lessons at age 5. Prior to taking lessons, I already showed my interest in dancing at home whenever my nanny would play tunes on her radio. So my parents enrolled me in ballet classes. I took lessons till I was 9 and had my first (and sadly my last) ballet recital. I quit because when I advanced levels in ballet, the teacher was strict and I didn't really like her. But my love for dancing never wavered even after I quit ballet lessons. I often grabbed opportunities to dance in school performances when I was in elementary. In my elementary school I always picked Dance classes over Gym class (we had the option to do so). From here, I learned many new dances such as folk, hiphop, jazz & a little bit of ballroom. In high school, I tried out for the cheering squad but quit after a while because of difficulty balancing it with my studies (being an honor student, I was more concerned with my grades at the time). And then on one school program, they asked for some volunteers who knew how to dance ballet to do an intermission number - of course I was one of the people who was picked! Though I had no knowledge of en pointe dancing whatsoever, I decided to just make do with my 4 years of ballet knowledge & flaunted it on stage. And it worked! I never went back to ballet though. I decided to go for something new but still, something a bit similar to ballet - figure skating. I skated for about 2 years before I stopped because of college. My experience in ballet helped me quite a lot in figure skating in terms of posture & gracefulness. In college, again I was given the opportunity to take a Dancesport class over Gym, under the guidance of a pro dancesport coach. So I grabbed it & did well in the our Gym Finals which was a Dancesport Competition. I also joined an inter-dormitory cheering competition a few months ago & we won 1st runner up. Sometimes I still wish that I never quit ballet, but I think if I never did, I won't be able to discover the other dances out there to learn and I won't be that versatile in dancing.

PreBronze
I took up ballet dancing as an adult. You can find more about my story here: http://dance25.com/about-2/