Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C&W Two Step Login/Join

Silver
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have not done much country and western dancing recently, but am wondering about something. I learned that there are two versions of the two step - progressive which is the walk foward on the slow, slow, quick, quick count and this as I best understand is the standard method.

Now, I originally learned what was later called the rhythm two step where there are two side togethers and foward, foward. What I don't know is if the rhythm variety is a local innovation or is a variation of the progresive used throughout the country. I have not danced outside of my local area much, so I don't know.
PreChampionship
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Just a stylization, far as I know. To watch, you'd hardly know Montana Two Step and Texas Two Step were the same dance, if you couldn't already tell from the name. Same timimg, different shape on the floor. Basically, everything goes that doesn't hold up the line of dance.

Silver
quote:
Originally posted by 90%Attitude:
Just a stylization, far as I know. To watch, you'd hardly know Montana Two Step and Texas Two Step were the same dance, if you couldn't already tell from the name. Same timimg, different shape on the floor. Basically, everything goes that doesn't hold up the line of dance.

I see. The rhythm two step as I have called it was called the Maverick at one time by the dance studios here; taking the name from a local C&W night club.
PreChampionship
There used to be a ton of "club" dances like that. When I used to do a lot of C & W dancing, you could go from one club to another, and by a kind of unspoken tradition, the same tune would used for one dance at the first club, and a different dance at the second club. Other times, there'd only be a "special" step thrown in by certain clubs.

I always thought this was one of the best things about C & W. Very few rules, and lots of spontaeous creativity going on in lots of different places. I recall one club used to play "The Queen of Memphis" and everyone would dance it as Texas Two Step. Across town at Cactus Jack's, it was a sing-along thing done up in the gallery with a whole set of poses and hand gestures. A kind of similar thing was done with "Family Tradition". It was a Two Step, but with a shouted refrain I won't repeat here. Needless to say, you had to be very aware of which club you were in to avoid doing something really embarrassing - probably right in front of somebody's grandmother <G>.

Too bad there are no C & W clubs where I live now. Good thing I like ballroom, too!

Silver
quote:
Originally posted by 90%Attitude:
There used to be a ton of "club" dances like that. When I used to do a lot of C & W dancing, you could go from one club to another, and by a kind of unspoken tradition, the same tune would used for one dance at the first club, and a different dance at the second club. Other times, there'd only be a "special" step thrown in by certain clubs.

I always thought this was one of the best things about C & W. Very few rules, and lots of spontaeous creativity going on in lots of different places. I recall one club used to play "The Queen of Memphis" and everyone would dance it as Texas Two Step. Across town at Cactus Jack's, it was a sing-along thing done up in the gallery with a whole set of poses and hand gestures. A kind of similar thing was done with "Family Tradition". It was a Two Step, but with a shouted refrain I won't repeat here. Needless to say, you had to be very aware of which club you were in to avoid doing something really embarrassing - probably right in front of somebody's grandmother <G>.

Too bad there are no C & W clubs where I live now. Good thing I like ballroom, too!

Sounds like me; I have moved on to swing and ballroom after initially learning country and western some 20 years ago. There are a number of C&W clubs here though the most established one just recently suffered the same fate as Gilley's due to arson. I live only about a block away and use to go there quite regularly years ago. It's suppose to be rebuilt and re-open this fall in time for it's 40th anniversary celebration.
PreBronze
We learned two-step initially about ten years ago and the first dance we learned was slow, slow,q uick ,quick, but soon found out that that was not how most of the good dancers were dancing. We quickly made the transition to quick, quick, slow, slow or 1,2,3,5. This is still danced progressively down the floor. The difference really is that most of the turning is set executed on the quicks. A prep lead is done on the second slow to initiate an outside turn for the lady on the first quick.

The result is a much snappier dance. You must learn some turning technique though, and it is essential that the lady 'spot' either on her partner or a wall, to avoid dizziness.

A lot of people relied on memorized patterns under slow, slow, quick, quick. I found I had to really learn lead and follow more under quick, quick, slow, slow.

You will find that, like other dances, as you get better, you can play a lot with the two step. You can lead as many quick turns as you want. If the lady can follow and the lead is definite, this will not confuse her. Just make sure your feet do the same thing.

One other thing about looking snappy in two-step - progression progression progression. Too many people only got halfway around the floor during one whole song!! (Exaggeration, but it makes the point). [Smile]

Silver
I learned to dance 2-step with QQSS timing like Wade mentioned. However, I find in social situations that it is often easier to start the dance with SSQQ timing and mentally switch to QQSS using the first two slows as prep-steps. If the music is fast, starting with a slow step is easier for the lady to follow and avoid getting stepped on.

Blair