forums.danceScape.com
flamenco frustration

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/951106172/m/727101572

08-26-2002, 08:15 PM
teeheeyukyuk
flamenco frustration
I am a flamenco dancer and my arms always look awkward when I dance. I have long skinny arms, but flamenco is not a dance where the shape of your body matters at all. I should be able to have strong, graceful arms, but I just don't know what the problem is. I also have problems with balancing and "pulling up". [Huh]
08-28-2002, 07:23 AM
The Cat
Hang in there my friend, your arms will get stronger with time, and good teaching. How long have you been dancing? One thing that might help is that in Flamenco, always think BIG. Think to stretch your arms as big as you can, taking over the whole space. As you get stronger it will be easier to move your arms in a big way, and taking big steps, but you have to start thinking that way now, so that you train your mind to accept that future reality.

In regards to balancing and pulling up, again as you get stronger these problems will disappear. Think that your body is two parts 1- from the waist down, and 2- the upper part. The bottom part has to keep you grounded, whereas with the upper part you have to project your energy upward. It will feel awkward at first, but it gets easier. Also, that is where people see the arrogance of Flamenco dancers, thinking they are above everyone else. Be careful not to look to stiff. At first, it may seem robotic, or unnatural, but with time you will develop the freedom that you are after to move your body the way you want.

Hope this helps

The Cat

quote:
Originally posted by teeheeyukyuk:
I am a flamenco dancer and my arms always look awkward when I dance. I have long skinny arms, but flamenco is not a dance where the shape of your body matters at all. I should be able to have strong, graceful arms, but I just don't know what the problem is. I also have problems with balancing and "pulling up". [Huh]