This is the REAL DEAL!
Swing Dance USA 2006 is recreating a weekend convention that takes you back in time when the world was turned on to the intimate, hip, cool, exciting, authentic
BIG SOUND of REAL Swing Music.
This venue is a REAL Vintage Show Palace built in the 1920's – as grand as it can be, and created for the many Vintage Films, Big Bands and Dance marathons it has hosted during it's rich history.
Some of the performers that have graced the stage of the Coliseum include Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Les Brown, Cab Calloway, Jimmy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Goodman, Buddy Holly, Sammy Kaye, Kay Kyser, Ted Lewis, Guy Lombardo, Glenn Miller, Will Rodgers, Artie Shaw, Rudy Vallee and many more. Before the invention of television, radio shows such as "Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour," "The Old Gold Show," and "Don McNeil's Breakfast Club" were recorded there.
All 3 days of Swing Dance USA are held at the historic Coliseum in the heart of the Tampa Bay area at 535 Fourth Ave. N., Saint Petersburg, Florida 33701 (727) 892-5202. The Coliseum houses a 15,500 square foot oak dance floor, alcoves and a stage big enough for an orchestra with an additional seating capacity of 2,000. The Coliseum is grand and still retains its unique 1920's architecture.
1. A National Swing Dance Event with vintage appeal.
2. Competition: Attracting Lindy Hop, Jitterbug and Balboa competitors of all ages. Competitions featured on Friday and Saturday night. Qualifying winners win airfare to the American Lindy Hop Championships in New York City with guaranteed entry in the semi-finals.
3. Workshops: Learn from Internationally Famous World Champion instructors who love the dance and can break down moves in easily understandable ways. International Swing Dance Champions Steve Garrett and Heidi Salerno will be the featured instructors all weekend finishing with a Master's Class at the end of the event. Steve and Heidi are considered one of the best dance couples in the World. Watching them dance is exciting. They have been consistently awarded International and National champion titles for Bal-Swing (Balboa and Lindy), Balboa, and Jitterbug going back to 1999. Steve and Heidi are extremely talented and sought after all over the world. Be sure to get involved in their workshops.
4. Learning Tracks & Other Instructors: A list of amazingly talented instructors from across the Southeastern United States will teach the intermediate paced learning track throughout the weekend. If the intense track is too advanced, or you just want to slow it down, feel free to jump in and out of the intermediate track. Featuring Lindy Hop, Balboa, Jitterbug, Jazz and more.
5. Meet and be entertained by Living Legends who go back to the roots and history of Swing Dance. We will be celebrating Norma Miller's debut film, "Queen of Swing," at the Tampa Theatre the week before the event. Norma will be selling and signing the newly released book about her life called "Stompin' at the Savoy – the Story of Norma Miller" at Swing Dance USA.
6. Music: The top talent in the nation. Step up to the BIG SOUND of REAL Swing Music. Friday night is the George Gee Show featuring the George Gee Orchestra, New York City's finest since 1980. Saturday night is the Barbara Morrison Show featuring internationally famous Barbara Morrison from Los Angeles backed by the powerful George Gee Orchestra. These fine people have a long history of making the dance floor explode with excitement.
7. Dancers: Amateur, Intermediate and Professional Dancers of all ages from around the world.
8. Non-Dancers: This is a unique event where the nation's champions as well as social dancers are surrounded by dance and music enthusiasts and spectators during the nightly shows.
9. Vintage: A vintage runway show with the girls and guys of swing with pictures, an admiring audience, performances and prizes.
10. Demonstrations: A city vs. city circle jam.
11. Vendors: What is a convention without great vendors? There are alcoves all around the dance floor that will be packed with great merchandise and services to enhance your experience.
12. Venue: All 3 Days at the most incredible Dance/Showplace venue in the State of Florida.
13. Accommodations: Discounted hotels within blocks of the venue. We also have the best Discount Travel Agency working with us featured on our website.
14. A world wide attraction: This event was a success from the first year of its inception attracting dancers, fans, and participants from all over the United States and 3 Countries.
Friendly, intimate, vintage,refreshing, exuberant, authentic, grand, retro...and more!
Swing Dance Experience!
October 6,7,8, 2006
MARK YOUR CALENDARS and keep an eye on http://SwingDanceUSA.com
for more details!