forums.danceScape.com
Fred Astaire vs. Arthur Murray Studios

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/991106172/m/933109672

02-22-2001, 06:08 PM
<Pia>
Fred Astaire vs. Arthur Murray Studios
Hi,

I'm curious as to whether there are any differences between Fred Astaire and Arthur Murray dance studios? Here in Canada we do not have Fred Astaires (as far as I know), and I've seen them mentioned in this forum quite a bit. I know they are franchised as are AMs. Are they pretty much the same in theory?

Pia

02-22-2001, 06:21 PM
grh
Fred Asstaire in London Ont. Even when I told them I danced International (phone before I visited), they didn't have a teacher for me. They then tried to sell me a package. I had one lesson and walked out never to return. Too much focus on selling and not enough on dancing. Heard this before?
02-22-2001, 06:58 PM
Fenolen
Yes, they are pretty much the same, in terms of strategy and layout. However, the steps they teach have different beat. i.e. AM start your rumba off with A slow stepping forward. They start it off with a quick quick to the left side. Just little different things like that. Slightly different figures and different steps but AM student can still dance with FA students, except it'll feel weird. However, that's what happens when you dance with people from other studio anyway.
We do havea Fred Astair where I lived. But it seems that AM is more successful.
02-22-2001, 09:37 PM
Linda
FA used to be Arthur Murray's student. He open his own studio and stole the AM's Step & since then they became enemies
02-22-2001, 10:01 PM
Bob B
Cross training is the way to go. Try not to get hooked into just one studio if possible. Its good to have a homebase, but never restrict yourself. There are a lot of independants out there too with lots to offer. Ive danced with students of both Fred Astaires and Arthur Murray studios. The problem I have is a lot less the teaching as the propaganda. They have self contained events and try to make it a cultlike existence for their students which tends to be restrictive to the students social developement if nothing else..
02-26-2001, 08:29 AM
danceman
Linda,
Was that a serious reply regarding AM and FA
02-26-2001, 05:04 PM
<Benjamin Smith>
quote:
Originally posted by Linda:
FA used to be Arthur Murray's student. He open his own studio and stole the AM's Step & since then they became enemies

Hark a new way to slam a franchise has popped up. How about so many of the independent studios and teachers using FADS and AM syllabi? STOLEN! Please get it straight.

02-26-2001, 05:36 PM
grh
quote:
Originally posted by BENJAMIN SMITH:
Hark a new way to slam a franchise has popped up. How about so many of the independent studios and teachers using FADS and AM syllabi? STOLEN! Please get it straight.[/B]

You take a franchise to get the benefit of the name. It also means you take the crap as well. When, or if, the franchises (and not only limited to the dance world) are prepared to police themselves, then I will be MORE prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

02-26-2001, 06:19 PM
mikeyusim
quote:
Originally posted by BENJAMIN SMITH:
quote:
Originally posted by Linda:

Hark a new way to slam a franchise has popped up. How about so many of the independent studios and teachers using FADS and AM syllabi? STOLEN! Please get it straight.

Are the franchise steps copyrighted in any way to prevent other studios from "stealing" them? Who would want to steal the steps anyway? The ISTD and the IDTA have their own syllabi so no one needs to steal anything from a franchise.

Don't AM and FA teach mainly American style? Aren't independent studios more likely to teach International style and therefore have no need to "steal" steps from a franchise.

02-27-2001, 09:59 PM
Linda
Yes Danceman, I am serious about my reply. That is why AM keep changing the syllabus every 2-3 years