danceScape.com    forums.danceScape.com    Forums - Live, Love, Laugh ... Dance!  Hop To Forum Categories  Shall we DANCE?  Hop To Forums  Ballet    Best Ballet Dancers of All Time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Ballet Dancers of All Time Login/Join

<Balletmeister>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hello,
Who do you think are the best Ballet dancers of all time, male or female, and why?
PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
My 2 favorites are: Rudolph Nureyev and Baryshnikov. These men possessed both strength and grace simultaneously. I saw Nureyev perform when I was a little kid and that performance remained a great memory for me... an inspiration...

<Balletmeister>
What about women ballerinas? Who are your favorites?
PreBronze
I'll admit, as a female who loves to dance, I have only really had favorite male dancers!!!

PreBronze
Oh, come on..we can do better than that for female dancers. What about Suzanne Farrell, Gelsey Kirkland, Natalia Markarova?? These women have really pushed the art forward. We can also include some newer dancers (Sylvie Guilliame).
PreBronze
There are so many beautiful dancers... my favorite male dancers would have to be Baryshnikov, for his absolute perfect control over his body, more perfect than thought could be. And his drive to always do something new - it's not enough for him to master something, in fact the mastery makes it less interesting. Vladimir Malakhov is my other favorite, perhaps because I "discovered" him when he was touring the US at ?17 with the other new graduates of his ballet school, and I met him again in Russia right before he left. What I love about his dancing is his complete absorption into the role, and his extension and suppleness combined with gravity-defying jumps - the best of typical male and female qualities, in one dancer.

For females, Sylvie Guillem certainly, for how natural she makes it all look. Also lots of NYCB ladies. Suzanne Farrell, natch. Merrill Ashley's crisp speed and solid, 'real' presence (the exact opposite of Gelsey Kirkland) stands out for me - maybe because I was old enough to see her in person. Marianna Tcherkassky's serenity. Martine Van Hamel's cool sophistication. Hmmmm, those ABT ladies are coming to mind too! Those are the ones that I've seen that really impressed me, each with her own style.

<Marie-Anne>
In Canada, I think the best female dancers has to be Karen Kain, Veronica Tennant, and ... oh dear, I can't remember the last one, but she had anorexia but was brilliant (think she was originally with the Winnipeg ballet).

What about other dancers like Dame Margot Fontein?

Silver
Picture of pasox2
Best of all time is a lot... but is anyone else a fan of Nina Ananishvilli or Carlos Acosta? Nina has expression that's just stunning and so moving (and look how long she's been dancing!) and Carlos is just thrilling.

<Shelby>
Can the ballet experts out there tell me what is involved in ballet training? For example, for a more mature people (i.e., if start as an adult), is it possible to learn ballet movements. I don't want to be a prima ballerina, but at same time wondered about taking adult ballet classes, and what others have found. There are not much adult classes in my area, only for kids/youths, but just wondering.
<&lt;KAREN TELFER&gt;>
Hey im a dance student at Dance For All At The Theatre School.We have a dance history class each week and we have been learning about all the famous ballet dancers. Nureuev i think he is by far one of the best ballet dancers or all time.