Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foot Problems Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I am wondering what type of foot problems dancers get/have.

In the past I have had a problem with plantar fascitis and I am afraid that it may flair up again.

Tracey
PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi Tracey,

Dancing IS foot problems! Least thats what one can conclude reading the posts here from all the full-timers - corroberated by my own experiences in amateur ballroom. My right big toe proximal phalangeal-metatarsal joint (where the toe meets the foot is chronically swollen, to the extent that my foot tips to the right.

I have tried to find a custom dance-shoe manufacturer to make me a custom shoe but without any luck (I know, small hope - its hard enough to find a wide fitting shoe) so I have taken matters into my own hands, or rather feet, as it were. I bought some drug-store, thick shoe inserts and cut them until I got a comfortable fit (basically with a hole for the swollen joint) and then got my cobbler (yes, we still have them in Canada!) to put this under the shoe liner. And? Voila! Now I can dance with a straight leg Banana (the banana will have to do since there is no emoticon clapping!).

Does anyone know of a shoe manufacturer that will actually measure your feet and make them to order?

Elise

Silver
I would love to find a manufacturer who could custom make a shoe. My feet supinate, and so my calf muscles are always compensating to get the feet to tilt back in. If that were the only issue, I wouldn't mind it, but I feel like it shakes my balance a little bit. I went to the doctor today and he is setting me up with a podiatrist to make custom orthotics for my shoes. This should be really interesting...it'll probably cost 3x the price of the shoes for the orthotics. I'm hardpressed about what else I can do. And the bummer is that they won't fit my regular shoes (so I can switch back and forth) because I wear a size smaller in dance shoes to get the toe overhang effect.

So, if anyone knows a custom shoe maker, I'd love to hear who and where, too!
Gold
Picture of DancingJools
MQ - If you know where Backbay dancewear store is in Burlington, MA, there is a strip mall across from it, and there is a cobbler there who does make custom shoes. He also makes custom dance shoes> He will make changes/repairs on your dance shoes.

Silver
Wow...that's great to know, Jools. When you say across the street, do you mean the smaller strip mall directly, or the one more on the diagonal with the Shaws in it?

Geez, I was just down there about 2 weeks ago. Guess it's time for another road trip.

Thanks!
Gold
Picture of DancingJools
It's been a couple of years since I was there, and I don't remember any Shaws there, but my memory could be unreliable.
This is how I get there: Coming from NH, on Route 95 (South), I take exit 33A( I think that's the number, whatever, the one that will go north and says Clinic someting - sorry, MQ, I don't drive that way too often nowadays, so excuse the fuzzy description). Anyway, you will find Backbay dancewear on your left hand. Instead of pulling into their lot, continue on that same street just a teeny bit. The strip mall will be on your right hand. It's a small cobbler shop. He actually specializes in dance shoes (I hope he's still in business - he's very knowledgeable). He once cut the heels on my Supadance from 3" to 2.5", and did a superb job. The shoes were as perfectly balanced as their original shape.
Which reminds me - I actually have a new 3" heeled pair, which I decided I don't like. I'll see if he can make them 2.5 and I'll use them for practice.
He charges about $10 - 15 for things like shortening the heels or dying the shoes.

Silver
I have a pair of shoes on order with BB Dancewear, so when I pick them up, I'll go on over (like crossing that street is easy!??!!). It's the Winn Street exit off 128, btw.

My only concern is that I don't want any medical problems resulting on a cobbler "fixing" my shoes. KWIM? I am sure I'll have enough problems with my baby bunions in the future....nevermind some other problem resulting from a cobbler trying to "fix" my supination problem. But, I'll hear what he has to say. I can always run it by the podiatrist (pun intended).

Thanks again.
PreBronze
Picture of dragonfire
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the dreaded "athlete's foot". I have a problem with this at times, with skin peeling off between my toes, and bathe my feet in salt water to try to cure it.

But my dance partner - Phew! I just dread it when she changes her shoes. She bathes every time before she goes out, but every time at the end of the evening, her feet.... The smell brings me close to passing out. Yet she has no problem at all regarding skin peeling off. It's just the terrible smell. (Obviously, her shoes are just as bad.) But she refuses point-blank to acknowledge the problem.

I use a Scholl spray, and always keep one of those sheets of Bounce fabric conditioner in my shoe bag, but when I offer her the same, she declines. I'm just glad her feet are at the other end of her body when we're up close dancing.

(Other than changing my dance partner) any tips for curing athlete's foot?

PreChampionship
Picture of Chris UK
Hi everyone, I'm back..... Smiler

Foot problems.... he he he. Well, I am pleased to say that I have finally had my bunions sorted!! My goodness, it was painful, but very worthwhile. Fortunately, the bunions were not caused by the dancing (for those that don't know, I've danced since I was tiny, about 3 years old) but they weren't helped.

All I can say is it's the best thing that I have ever done. But then again I did get to the point where I was no longer able to walk properly, never mind about dance.

Remember, take care of your feet, they are your tools.

Chris
Championship
Chris! So nice to see you. If you still have my email address, drop me a line when you get a chance. I'd like to talk to you more about the bunion issue (among other topics). Hope you are great -- I was in London last week and I should have dropped you a line to let you know but I have changed computers and so didn't have your email address.