forums.danceScape.com
Dancing for God

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/221106172/m/944109372

09-05-2001, 08:33 AM
Nancy
Dancing for God
Ruth, Years ago I wrestled with the "meaning of life" question and pretty much explored most major religions. What I discovered for me was that organized religion was great for a feeling of community but not spirituality. Buddhism probably made the strongest impact however I have to admit that your Unitarian quote was just too wonderful for words and right on point as to how I view relgions and religious experiences. I loved it. I support anyone and whatever they believe as long as their beliefs don't propel them into action that would harm others. And, as you so kindly said, I am so in awe and entrapped in experiencing the wonder of the world and all of its gifs that I don't have time to figure out who/what sent them.

As an aside, (look at me pretending that I haven't already wondered off topic), when we go up to Boston to visit our son, I usually make him take me to Walden Pond. I love to walk around the perimeter of the pond and think about Thoreau and how much happier I am when I can simplify things.

09-05-2001, 01:31 PM
<&lt;LOL&gt;>
quote:
Originally posted by <Amateur>:
I know EXACTLY why I can dance - my mother danced, my grandmother danced, my grand-grand mother danced, etc, etc. My siblings danced and their childen are dancing too. It's called GENETICS + FAMILY ATTITUDE.

Now that's funny. I have skipped this whole thread, as uninteresting, and just browsed through it a minute ago, and found that quote. WELLLL!! I come from a background that absolutely prohibits dancing in public for women. Partner dancing (i.e. men and women dancing in proximity of each other, let alone touching) is taboo, as in nonexistent. Noone in my family danced, nor I ever meet anyone who did. I started dancing on my own, in secret, at home, because I couldn't help myself. Genetics??? Family Attitude??? Give me a break.
Anyway, that was years ago and did not last very long. Now that I'm an adult, I chose to take up dancing, as I live independently and completely away from my native culture. Needless to say, if anyone in my background found out, I'd be dead.

09-05-2001, 02:40 PM
<&lt;jehovahwitness&gt;>
LOL, is it Jehovah's witness that you belong to? That is quite a story and good to hear that you had enough of a sense of "self" to reason out and then continue to participate in dancing. Why was it considered immoral - is there something that you were told was would send you straight to hell, if you danced? I'm curious what the reasoning was for this from your parents or followers of your church.
09-05-2001, 04:44 PM
Ruth
Banning dance is one of the things I put under the heading of stupid things done in the name of God that I referred to earlier.

BTW LOL, perhaps dancing was indeed in your genes even if no one in previous generations pursued it, or perhaps not. Either way, congratulations on finding one of life's great joys in spite of misguided restrictions imposed on you.

09-14-2001, 03:15 PM
<&lt;prayers&gt;>
In light of the Tuesday Terrorist attack, I for one pray that nothing else like this will happen again and that the people who have done this will be caught and punished, whether in this lifetime or the next. May prayers to everyone directly or indirectly affected by this tragedy.
09-18-2001, 06:40 PM
<&lt;Warp*Speed&gt;>
I just skimmed through this topic, and I was just wondering about houses.

So many theories floating around.

I was wondering about people's houses. How many of us had our homes built, and how many of us heard a BOOM or a BANG and turned around and lo and behold there was a house sitting there!

10-25-2001, 11:19 PM
<&lt;Controversial&gt;>
quote:
Originally posted by <Warp*Speed>:

I was wondering about people's houses. How many of us had our homes built, and how many of us heard a BOOM or a BANG and turned around and lo and behold there was a house sitting there!

September the 11th, the opposite happened. Go on then godsquad, give me a valid reason why your god allowed that to happen. It seems that the score was allah 1, christian god 0.Just goes to prove to me that there is/are no god/gods.
Job may have been tested and passed, tough sh1t on his family though. Great way to show your love to your followers.
There is no god, therefore you cannot dance for him/her/it/them.

10-25-2001, 11:31 PM
<&lt;Godsquad&gt;>
... in order to restore humanity and humility in Americans, to test "faith" in those who believe, and to enable people around the world to reflect on the types of "injustices" that exist outside of America.

Those people who have passed away as a result of the tragedy are heroes and those in their families who also believe in god, also believe they are in another better place.

The future continues to unveil itself and this tragedy shouldn't be used as a "debating" point for non-believers.

10-25-2001, 11:43 PM
<&lt;easterngodsquad&gt;>
...and those of us in the east who also believe in god, transformation, and reincarnation believe that those people still exist but have moved on to a different plane of existence and may once again return as different person or forms to continue to better their lives. there is no tragedy in death but is part of our evolution as spiritual beings.
10-25-2001, 12:20 PM
<&lt;Controversial&gt;>
quote:
Originally posted by <Godsquad>:
to test "faith" in those who believe,

Those people who have passed away as a result of the tragedy are heroes and those in their families who also believe in god, also believe they are in another better place.

So those who didn't believe are now no longer in a position to choose to do so or not. That makes them sacrifices, or are they just collateral damage in the battle between good and evil. Either way, says a lot for the so-called christian loving god. Still happy to accept blood sacrifices it seems.
The eastern godsquad rational seems more moral and uplifting in that case. Consider how many of those who perished were true (definitions welcome on this point, so many to choose from) believers. I expect it to be a small number. They may have been brought up in the christian culture, but that doesn't make them believers.