forums.danceScape.com
Dancing for God

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/221106172/m/944109372

10-25-2001, 12:32 PM
<&lt;Godsquad&gt;>
Dancing for God
Underlying any belief, Christian/Catholic/Western is the fact that men do make choices. When God created Adam and Eve as is symbolically described in the bible, the choice was to eat the Fruit of temptation. God knew the consequences but ultimately the choice was man's. The hijackers/terrorists on the plane had the choice and they chose to kill not only themselves but the people on board.

Should God have stopped this all? I am only human and don't know the reason but having faith, there is a higher good.

I have never expected my God to intervene in every situation in my life. Nor do I expect him to intervene in every situation in other people's lives. Just as God may have the choice to intervene, we humans also have the choice.

If we assume that God loves everyone, no matter what "religion" that man has defined, then my faith guides me that there is a higher good. For those whom you have indicated as "sacrifices" ... my view is that they were the unfortunate consequences of some men's decision.

The tragedy that happened was a result of man's (some men's) expression of their freedom of choice, a right and gift that my God has given to us. I cannot ask a God who has given me that "right" of freedom of choice, to intervene when those choices aren't good for me or my fellow men who also have the same choices.

10-25-2001, 12:34 PM
<&lt;Godsquad&gt;>
In terms of who on the planes were believers or not, is it really necessary to have an "accounting".

The fact is that America, Americans, and the President continue to state.... GOD BLESS AMERICA.

10-25-2001, 06:13 PM
Ruth
At the risk of picking a fight, I'm getting tired of "God Bless America." We in this country are already blessed in many ways, especially those of us with the resources to pursue ballroom dancing. I'd much rather wish that God (if there is one) turn his attention toward bestowing food and freedom on those who need it more, and maybe helping us all live in peace.
10-26-2001, 05:10 PM
ThreeStep
Right, but seeing as it makes no difference whether we say it or not, for us or for someone else (nothing happens regardless)...why not say it for us anyway.

Heh.

ThreeStep
(being silly)

11-12-2001, 03:02 PM
Graham
quote:
Originally posted by <sciencechallenge>:
Here are some challenges to Scientists to prove:

1. Existence of Parallel Universes which is predicted but never proven.
(Plus others, edited for the sake of brevity).Graham.

Science/mathematics have as many (if not more) paradoxes as with Religion. Because we believe in God does not also mean we do not believe in the principles of science. Or do you think this another paradox?

Hhhhmm. Logical inconsistency in the argument here. Here I am, trying to be fair and give an easy prediction that could then be matched by an easy predition (not forthcoming I note, either here or later). The reply requests that science 'proves' all sorts of extremely complex issues and comments upon the imability of science to do so. Science has identified all sorts of apparent paradoxes, this I agree and have already stated myself in various ways. The argument I am putting forward is that science can predict all manners of outcomes in a massively wide range of situations. Religion cannot, not without resorting to science themselves. Of course, religion fights against the notion of scientific principle by ignoring it when they don't have the power to suppress it. Religion relies upon the emotive reasoning of the masses, unthinking acceptance of the way the clergy want them to think.
Remember Galileo, the Inquistion or something more modern, the Taliban interpretation of their religion (as a more modern example). Suppression works when based on emotive reasoning, it doesn't work when based on logic of which science is primarily based.
I had a wonderful discussion with a bible thumper (door to door approach) the other week. We got onto evolution, of which she obviously had argued before. She stated, very proudly and assertively, that she had 'studied evolution for thrity years'. Yeah right. She couldn't even explain the mainstream theory and claimed ignorance (I believed her on that, the evidence was right in front of me) when asked about alternate evolutionary theory (e.g. aquatic ape). I believe that her study had consisted of the occasional reading of tracts provided by her church. Emotively based I am sure (having seen various tracts of that ilk before myself). I enjoy trying to 'convert' these loonies to science. Nice to hear them begging to move on (I have to get the dinner ready, or be somewhere else shortly) as do the victims they normally prey on.
Anyway, the original point was, I made a prediction based on science that was simple to prove. Religius followers out there - do the same I challenge you!

(BTW, I have downloaded some of those references you gave and I will look at them when time allows).
Graham.
(Science rules the waves, and tames then and makes useful power out of then. Walk on them if you dare).
It's been a hard weekend, you can tell.

06-26-2002, 08:34 AM
DanceScape Admin
Here is an interesting article by Kim Knode, relevant to this thread and debate ...

Discovering God and the Heart at the Center of Dance

Some quotes...

And the gifts are abundant when individuals surrender the mind in favor of: "The light that fills the heart - the light of God - pure and separate from the light of intellect and sense." [iii] Meredith says that, "I can’t speak for other dancers but I am well aware of a spirit communicating through me and guiding me when I dance. Performing is an altered state." She continues to explain with enthusiasm, "My heart is my whole body when I dance. On a physical level, I am aware of my heart beating faster from the sheer exercise of the movement and the adrenalin of performing. At the same time, there is a wonderful sense of being safe and centered."

While professionals and Sufi devotees might spin themselves into a state of nirvana or ecstasy, I believe the same essence of the Divine, of bliss, is available to the novice. (After all, endorphins - the same chemical compounds that produces euphoria after eating chocolate - are released while exercising with dance or aerobic movement.) Beyond the flutter in the chest from Foxtrotting to Frank Sinatra, dance lessons provide opportunities to merge (even if momentarily) with the Divine.

How we choose to interpret these divine feelings is a matter of personal choice, and the-vu is in no way attempting to promote acceptance of any one religion, or suggesting that atheists might be unable to achieve the same wonderful experiences from dance and movement as those who believe in intangible concepts such as God etc.
While dancing I have stumbled into unexpected epiphanies. Perhaps that is why I am a ballroom and Swing addict. I desire to connect again and again to the flashes of feeling Light – almost like flying – in the midst of dances like the Foxtrot. At peak moments, my head visits a crystal-clear high altitude and emotional burdens evaporate into thin air. I no longer concentrate solely on steps and patterns. I simply merge with the music and move with my partner as one – for a second or two. The experience is unforgettable. For the time being, I am completely aware of a contentment and thanksgiving in my heart. (Similar to "My cup runneth over" teary-eyed sensations that spring forth when reviewing my blessings.)

Enjoy!

[ 06-26-2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: DanceScape ]
06-26-2002, 12:09 PM
Latin Mambo
Hey, man, don't be raggin on people who actually have faith, you little dip****. I'm not observant to my religion but I can see how one would look to their god when dancing.
06-26-2002, 12:25 PM
Latin Mambo
Now, here's something else to think about. Let's just say Jesus Christ was actually a prophet.

Look at Jesus Christ the Prophet, and Mohammed the Prophet. It's a battle of Christianity and Islam. Both prophets have equal amounts of faith, and believe wholeheartedly in their God(s). Now, who is right?

This is the exact reason why I have drifted away from Christianity. How do I know which religion is right? If I bind myself to the Christian religion, then I would be blind in not admitting the possibility that Islam or Buddhism is right.

I do, however, believe that there is a higher being overseeing the world. Without faith, what's there to live for, right?

Man, this was a really random post.

[ 06-26-2002, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Latin Mambo ]
06-26-2002, 04:08 PM
Graham
quote:
Originally posted by Latin Mambo:
[QBI'm not observant to my religion but I can see how one would look to their god when dancing.[/QB]

Or at least keep your chin up a little.
12-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Jenz3
This thread has been inactive for over 4 years...and I'm gonna attempt to revive it! Smiler

One of the questions that I have about dancing & God involves latin dancing, to be specific.

I think Latin dances are sensual and they can be suggestive. I always thought that it would be rather awkward to dance a hot latin routine with a partner and believe that it glorifies God.

I've been to churches where they will dance simple choreography or contemporary style or even hip-hop to worship songs. I could see waltzing and maybe even jiving to worship songs. But dancing, say, rhumba to a worship song? I don't know. I think it's because to me, some dances seem like the attention is more on the partner than on the music.

What are your thoughts? Confused