forums.danceScape.com
Why are all the talented dancers partnerless?

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.dancescape.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/221106172/m/8681016591

01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Rugby
Why are all the talented dancers partnerless?
I have a friend looking for a dance partner in American (called Social, though I hate that term, up here) that would like to compete. He is starting Full Silver and is looking for a fit older lady in her 50's or up. He knows I am looking for him and would be thrilled to find someone through this message. He is in Ingersoll but Toronto is not too far. I think he is going into the singles section but I'm not sure he has. Here is a situation where there are ladies out there but the studios have told him that they do not want to have partnerships as they want the ladies in Pro-Am. Of course, as they can make much more money on their stable of ladies by doing Pro-Am. They had no shame in indicating to him that they did not want to lose their cash cows. Now there is another topic.
01-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Motown Man
quote:
Originally posted by Rugby:
I have a friend looking for a dance partner in American (called Social, though I hate that term, up here) that would like to compete. He is starting Full Silver and is looking for a fit older lady in her 50's or up. He knows I am looking for him and would be thrilled to find someone through this message. He is in Ingersoll but Toronto is not too far. I think he is going into the singles section but I'm not sure he has. Here is a situation where there are ladies out there but the studios have told him that they do not want to have partnerships as they want the ladies in Pro-Am. Of course, as they can make much more money on their stable of ladies by doing Pro-Am. They had no shame in indicating to him that they did not want to lose their cash cows. Now there is another topic.

You're right there...many Pro Am instructors all over North America will not make any effort to find partners for their students (male or female). They don't want to lose the money or the recognition if the student is very talented.
01-05-2005, 09:39 PM
tanechka
quote:
Originally posted by Rugby:

I am not even fifty, very beautiful, trying to lose 20 extra pounds(successfully)in fitness club, with great sense of humour, very kind and tender. I know everything about dancing, can make costums for myself, can decorate beautifully, know how to dance properly(bcause my daughter dances for 13 years). One small not very important thing that I never danced myself. Will your friend be willing to dance with me? I am very quick learner, very talented, great cook.
01-05-2005, 09:43 PM
tanechka
I forgot to add that I am very patient and I don't have a habit to critisize aand teach the partner how to dance. Big Grin
01-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Rugby
I'm afraid your a bit too far away for him. Thankyou for responding anyway.
01-06-2005, 04:09 PM
tanechka
Don't worry, I am in Toronto. I am very good driver too, have a car, very mobile.
05-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Smiley
This might be slightly off the subject but why is it that people expect a couple that competes together is also having a personal relationship together? That has never made any sense to me. With all the togetherness that is required of competitive dancing (pro or am), one would think that each of them would want a life of their own, away from the dancing. I'm sure there have been many couples who have split up, due to their personal involvement with one another. If their partnership had simply been a friendship, they probably would have danced together longer.
05-10-2006, 09:27 PM
dragonfire
Strange that you should bring that subject up. A thread on the same is live on another dance website.

There's a comp dancer that I know who makes it a condition that after the first couple of months or so, his partners must then have a relationship with him. To improve their dancing, he says. Wink

(He doesn't usually hang on to his partners for more than a couple of months.)
05-11-2006, 12:21 AM
dancingkid
quote:
Originally posted by Smiley:
I'm sure there have been many couples who have split up, due to their personal involvement with one another. If their partnership had simply been a friendship, they probably would have danced together longer.

It's ludicurous if partners avoid to be lovers in fear of being splitted sooner. Besides, if the partners are also lovers, their dance is more expressive and passionate, and more enjoyable to watch. I'd rather dance with genuine passion than with fake, even if my partner may turn out to be a bitter nemesis tomorrow. Don't be timid; make life fun and adventurous.
05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
usuallyquietobserver
You're right there...many Pro Am instructors all over North America will not make any effort to find partners for their students (male or female). They don't want to lose the money or the recognition if the student is very talented.[/QUOTE]

Like many Pro/Am teachers have the time to find partners for their students??? First of all if the amateur half of a pro/am team wants to dance am/am, then don't you think the pro would want to assist in finding someone who would be a compatible level, someone who is a good dancer and someone who would be willing to be coached by the pro? If anything the loss of income or recognition is stupid. The pro who coaches the am/am team is going to still get income in most cases MORE because the am half may still dance pro/am AND am/am. AND as far as recogntion goes --- the pro will be recognized for their coaching efforts. I dare say Dara Campbell and her amateur partner do their training on their own, I would guess that Igor Suverov (sp?) is their key coach as he is her Pro/Am Partner....

Why is it that so many people think the worst of Pros around here??