Click here for www.dancescape.com
danceScape.com    forums.danceScape.com    Forums - Live, Love, Laugh ... Dance!  Hop To Forum Categories  MUSIC for the Soul  Hop To Forums  Classical    Do you like Vocal or Instrumental Music?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like Vocal or Instrumental Music? Login/Join

Championship
Picture of DanceScape Admin
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Thanks to everyone who emailed about putting a new Discussion forum dedicated to dance music.

An interesting topic that has been suggested is whether dancers prefer "vocal" or "purely instrumental" music. What are your preferences, and why?

Silver
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Louis Armstrong once said that there are only two types of music, good music and bad music. And good music makes you tap your toe.

I agree with him. I don't think that vocals necessarily make a difference. However, vocals may add some emotional depth to rather mediocre music making the music more interesting.

Blair

Gold
What I would say is that when first listening to music it's often easier for me to follow the music when there are no vocals getting in the way. A lot of ballroom collections are DULL but easy to hear.

quote:
Originally posted by B. McClinton:
Louis Armstrong once said that there are only two types of music, good music and bad music. And good music makes you tap your toe.

I agree with him. I don't think that vocals necessarily make a difference. However, vocals may add some emotional depth to rather mediocre music making the music more interesting.

Blair

Championship
I gotta agree with Louis and Blair about good music and bad music. And I also agree with Blair's comment about how vocals can add emotional depth.

PreBronze
Picture of Bonnie Prater
Vocals CAN add emotional depth to a song. They can also completely destroy a great piece of music.

Lyrics with cuss words or explicit/racist/sexist lyrics can ruin a perfectly good piece of social dance music. I don't think "Standing on the corner watching all the girls go by" would cut it today. Neither would the the song where the woman is willing to take her man back even if he beats her!

A Tango(El Choclo, I think) where Nat "King" Cole sings a spanish song with American English pronunciation comes to mind as purely awful, and it is on a dance complilation!

Purely instrumental music can be enthralling or tedious, depending on the orchestration and the musicians/instruments used. As I have said in a prior post, most "Strict Tempo" music to me is so uninspiring to me as to take any desire to dance away. When they are played I usually take a bathroom/social chat/food or rest break unless a beginner dancer has asked me to dance.
PreChampionship
I need a music help badly. I am preparing for a Bolero/Rumba Showcase with my Mamma Instructor (she calls me her baby, not even a kid). I like to use some of the great Opera love Arias, e.g, "Nessun Dorma" by Pavarotti (Turondot) and "E lucevan le Stelle" by Domingo (Tosca). As far as I know, these arias don't come with Bolero/Rumba beats. Is there any way we can dance Bolero/Rumba on these songs? If not, can these songs be overlayed with proper beats (about 25 bars/min)?

As alternatives, I also chose "Time to say goodbye," "Dicitencello," and "Song from Moulin Rouge." Does anyone know if these songs come in Bolero/Rumba beats. Thanks.

Championship
Quote:

I need a music help badly. I am preparing for a Bolero/Rumba Showcase with my Mamma Instructor (she calls me her baby, not even a kid). I like to use some of the great Opera love Arias, e.g, "Nessun Dorma" by Pavarotti (Turondot) and "E lucevan le Stelle" by Domingo (Tosca). As far as I know, these arias don't come with Bolero/Rumba beats. Is there any way we can dance Bolero/Rumba on these songs? If not, can these songs be overlayed with proper beats (about 25 bars/min)?

Perhaps you could take some inspiration from all the talk of up-and-coming dancers moonlighting as teachers. Conservatory students have similar financial issues, and far fewer impediments to moonlighting. Find yourself a versatile student vocalist with some knowledge of operatic repertoire and someone who knows how to make an electronic keyboard do interesting things. It will cost a lot more than a CD, but then you will get something unique.
PreChampionship
Quote:

Vocals CAN add emotional depth to a song. They can also completely destroy a great piece of music.

I couldn't agree more. Some singers are so flat you just wish they'd shut up where as some you really want to listen to. I rarely listen to actual lyrics but some really aren't appropriate and are best left as instruentals, or at least sung in a language I don't understand!

PreChampionship
"at least sung in a language I don't understand!"

I have some perfect places for you to go: studios in NY and NJ where many Chineses go. They play Tangoes and Rumbas in a language I have no foggiest idea about. The musics are, however, so beautiful that you'll have no problem to dance to, which make me beleive that dance is truly an international Language.
PreChampionship
I'd appreciate it if anyone'd help me identifying the following Bolero/Rumba songs:

(1) The song Michael Wentink/Beata used in 2001 World Super Star Latin;

(2) The songs Rufus Dustin/Shirley Ballas and Donnie Burns used in 2003 World Ballroom Dancing Congress at Blackpool;

(3) The Bolero music Bob Power/Julia used in their showcase at Ohio Star Ball several yrs ago (with commentaries by Sandy Dunkin and Ron Montez);

(4) the song Nonci Tirado and Radd used in their Rumba showcase at Yutile in the past January; and

(5) "Dancing in the Dark" in tango beats.

Thanks.