Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Viennese Waltzes Login/Join

Championship
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Since I started dancing, I've always found it a little dissapointing that the classics of Viennese waltz literature - from the musicians' perspective - are essentially never heard at dances.

Obviously, a lot of this is because the standard performance of something like "The Blue Danube" today is in a concert setting, with tempo ranging ALL over the place. But this music did original grow out of a dancing tradition.

So how was it that musicians and dancers found a compromise? Did orchestras play at stricter tempos? Did dancers use different figures at different speeds?
Gold
Picture of DancingJools
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I'm with you. Very few of the contemporary Viennese Waltzes have the charm, beauty and musicality of the classic ones, but the classics (due to their very musicality) do not always adhere to the strict tempo required in International style. But you can find a few beautiful classics, in strict tempo, by the usual ballroom orchestras. I don't have the CD names, but can find them for you, if you want:
1- The Blue Danube exists in a fine version by Joe Loss Orchestra.
2- Uber den Wellen by Werner Tauber Orchestra.
3- Vogelhandler by Werner Tauber.
4- Mignonette Waltz, and I don't know the Orchestra, but I know this one is from Casa Musica label.
5- Faust Walts by Hugo Strasser Orchestra.
And the really, really gorgeous ones:
6- Fuehlingstimmen waltz, don't know the orchestra.
7- The Second Waltz, Andre Rieu Orchestra.
8- Die Moldau, Klaus Hallen Orchestra.
Then there is the more modern, but still in the classic style:
9- Skaters Waltz (Mantovani Orchestra), still in the classic style; and two of my favorites:
10- Once Upon a December, Deana Carter (on Ballroom Swing CD).
11- Anniversary Song (also I think on Ballroom Swing).
And, to answer your question, I'm guessing people could dance to music that varied in tempo, since dancing was a social, not athletic, activity, and no judges were standing by.

PreChampionship
I know it's not a classic, but the Harry Potter theme makes a sweet viennese waltz, I don't know which CD it's on but it gets played a fair bit at practice.

For pure cheese I have to mention "Delilah" - on a "Come Dancing" CD, however, it loses its novelty value if you hear it too often!
PreBronze
Did any of you ever hear of Flora's Secret?? Its on my one ballroom cd Dance Charts Steps.

~newbie~

PreBronze
Ah, Flora's Secret! Music that maketh my heart sing! It is as though a misty enchanted forest were waltzing around me in all its glory. Such a pure, magical experience it is!

~An?wiel
PreBronze
I love dancing to and singing it!! [Big Grin] Though I am not sure that everybody likes my singing as much as my dancing! [Wink]

Its on of my favorites...
~Newbie~

PreBronze
I love Flora's Secret but have had a heck of a time getting others to accept it. Can't explain that. Glad to know there are other people out there who like it. I am not insane after all!!! [Applause]
PreBronze
Maybe it's a girl thing... [Roll Eyes]

I love this song so much I'd walk down the aisle in a beautiful garden with it softly playing in the background. The words, the melody, and the singing are just perfect...

~Virginie~

Championship
quote:
Originally posted by Samba One:
I love Flora's Secret but have had a heck of a time getting others to accept it.

Wow - that is a nice song. The only thing is I find the downbow accent on 1 a bit strong in Enya's recording - it's a nice folksy feel, but to actual dance to it almost feels like someone is counting to help you. Of course there is a time and place for that - and at around 50 mpm this could be good practice material.

Or re-recorded in the 58-60 range with a slightly less accented downbeat to give a more flowing feeling... perhaps the version on them mentioned ballroom CD has already been thus treated?
PreBronze
This is such an interesting topic. I am no dancer but I have the same disappointment when it comes to the classic Viennese waltz. We should try to adapt this music to dance too. I am glad you guys shared these songs, I was hoping I could find some free downloadable beats too. Any ideas?