Click here for www.dancescape.com
danceScape.com    forums.danceScape.com    Forums - Live, Love, Laugh ... Dance!  Hop To Forum Categories  MUSIC for the Soul  Hop To Forums  Classical    French music S'il vous plait??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French music S'il vous plait?? Login/Join

PreBronze
Picture of DancingDiva
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Bonjour!

I was wondering if anyone can make some recommendations on some French singers whose CDs I can buy for my classroom. I have already found some French albums by Celine Dion but I would like to find others that are sort of a French pop or rock and roll.

When I taught Spanish, it was sooooooooo easy.

Vive le "new" job!
and
Vive "my continuing of dance!"

DancingDiva <----------see what happens when you're late for class?
Silver
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
You can try this song from the French Kiss soundtrack. Not only is it an excellent remake of an oldie, it is also a kick ass foxtrot:

Title:
Les Yeux Ouverts
Artist:
Beautiful South

Sample lyrics:
Les Yeux Ouverts Ce souvenir je te le rends. Des souvenirs, tu sais j'en ai tellement. ...

You may know this song as "Dream a little dream of me".

Good luck!

Championship
Picture of Joe
Jean Jacques Goldman
PreBronze
Picture of DancingDiva
What type of music does he sing? Beside French I mean. Slow, fast? Different tempos?

DancingDiva

Gold
Picture of Ithink
From your post, I can't tell whether you want dance music or just regular French music.

I don't know much about french dance music, but if it's regular pop you want, try Joe Dassin (really popular in the 1970s/1980s), a sort of pop/rock-n'-roll folksy music, or Patricia Kaas, the French Madonna. Both are pretty good singers and have some nice songs.
PreBronze
For teaching purposes, I think it'd be nice to use great singing icons such as Charles Aznavour, Jacques Brel, and Edit Piaf. Then there are the former pop/rock music sensations like Patrick Bruel and Johnny Hallyday. Let me know if you need more names. I've lost touch with what's been going on in pop culture over the last several years, but I think that the names mentioned above will give your students a good sampling taste of French pop music.

If you're looking for more current singers, you can always check out the top 50 list on mcm.net (click on classement top 50 on the right). It has a good number of today's popular French singers/groups.

Bonne chance!

~Virginie~ < !--color-->

PreBronze
Picture of DancingDiva
I guess what I am looking for is someone such as Celine Dion. I want someone who sings different tempos. As as example, when I have taught Spanish, I would play such things as Ricky Martin, Marc Anthony, Shakira, Olga Tanon, etc. (I think you get the idea)

So, I guess I am looking for something current (fun and lively for the classroom)

All of you input is greatly appreciated.

DancingDiva