Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite Waltzes Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Here's a chance to put down your favourite waltz music, the name of the artist/cmposer/singer, and any pro couple that may have usd it in their demonstration.

Please dont write long replies to make it easier for everyone who wants to read the list.

For example, here's the first entry:

PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Nocturne, by Secret Garden
Used by Marcus and Karen Hilton

Championship
"Nocturne," "Apassionata," "Reflections," all by Secret Garden

"What'll I Do?" by Linda Ronstandt

Championship
Picture of Joe
"Dark Angel" from Lee Blaske (Behind the Day). Needs a little editing, though, to get it to work right.

Silver
I melt everytime I hear Starlight, by the Starlight Orchestra. I have it on the Dancevision Ultimate Ballroom album 3, but I think it's also the the Starlight Orchestra's Autumn Leaves, etc. album. I also like Apasionata and Women in Love (on the same Ultimate Ballroom CD). I definitely prefer instrumentals over vocals for waltz (dreamier).
Gold
This is a very biased opinion but why is it after several hundred years we have seem to have so little Waltz music that isn't dreadful?

Look how much good swing and foxtrot music there is...I would have expected more decent waltz music by now!

Silver
quote:
Originally posted by Rob in TN:
This is a very biased opinion but why is it after several hundred years we have seem to have so little Waltz music that isn't dreadful?

Look how much good swing and foxtrot music there is...I would have expected more decent waltz music by now!

I agree that most slow waltz music is terrible. There are some very nice V.waltzes. I think the basic problem with waltz is that few composers write music in 3/4 time anymore. Those that are written are are arranged with fast tempos more suitable for V. waltz. Almost all pop, latin, jazz music is written in 4/4 time, so the chances are greater that there will be some very danceable songs in 4/4 time. The only genre that writes slow waltz music to any extent is country.

Blair

PreBronze
I adore 'Irish Green' to waltz to. It's an instrumental piece, I'm not sure which CD it is from, I'll check when I'm at my class tomorrow.

Silver
Picture of dancemax
I have a couple getting married. They want to do a waltz. Can someone suggest a reasonable, romantic modern radio song from a popular artist but with a strong beat (beginner waltz) and a tempo no slower than 3o mpm. it should be avialble in a regular music store. thanks
Championship
Picture of Joe
quote:
Originally posted by B. McClinton:
I agree that most slow waltz music is terrible.

There's some good stuff out there. You just have to dig for it. I've come across some very good waltzes just listening to music, not looking for waltzes, not in places you'd expect to find good waltzes. Sometimes they'll need a little massaging to be danceable (tempo adjusted, etc.), though.