Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worst Dance Music Login/Join

<MusicGirl>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I thought it would be fun also to put a list of the "Worst" music, as some music can be hazardous to your dancing! It also might save new dancers from experiencing the pain of and paying for bad music! I'll start...

"Christmas with a Vision" by DanceVision. I nominate it as absolute worst Christmas dance CD of all time. Be a Scrooge on this one.

"Love Theme from Titanic" as a "Paso Doble" in Latin Jam 3. Need I say more?

<Sydni>
Hey...I LOVE the Titanic theme as Paso. Of course I am not a dancer so I wouldn't know if it was bad to dance to or not By the way it is my 7 year old daugher who is the dancer, I am just a dancer mom.

There was a Cha-cha played at a comp recently where my kids competed in pee-wee, and the cha-cha beat was SOOOoooo slow! It was like they figured these kids were just little pee-wee's and couldn't dance a regular beat. They learn their routines and take their classes to cha-cha's with regular beats, so I don't know what was up with that. I'll have to see if I can find out the name of that song. If I can, I will be back and post it because even from a non-dancer perspective it was PAINFULLY slow.

Sydni

PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi Sydni.

The slow cha cha may have been a regular cha cha slowed down several beats. We have a CD player at the ballroom where I practice that can slow down or speed up the music.

<&lt;Miss Y&gt;>
One of my top picks for worst CD is any of the Casa Musica Latin music CDs containing the Jive song "Pick a Bale of Cotton!"

I heard it played at a comp and was appalled. An instrumental version was played but the words rang in my head: "Gonna jump down, turn around and pick a bale of cotton; jump down, turn around and pick a bale a day; O Lordy! Pick a bale of cotton; O Lordy! Pick a bale a day."

As an African American I refuse to ever dance to this jive in class or at a comp. I'm currently in the process of sending out letters and copies of the lyrics of this song to Dance Vision and Casa Musica.

PreBronze
I do know that it is not in very good taste to release this song but what i can say is that this song is very popular at my club and the guests always ask for it. The best version for this song is by Ross Mitchell available from the compilation Gold Latin 2.

I'm a DJ and most of the time i will avaoid playing unless there are song requests.

Kaze

P.S. Miss Y, you mayneed to send another copy to Dance Listen Records
Silver
quote:
Originally posted by Sydni:
There was a Cha-cha played at a comp recently where my kids competed in pee-wee, and the cha-cha beat was SOOOoooo slow!
Sydni

It could also be that the songs are at the correct tempo but seem slow. (i.e. an auditory illusion). For example, I slowed down "Bailando Boogalo" (from the Mucho Mambo CD), a fast cha-cha (36 mpm) to the correct tempo. Slowing this song down seemed to take the energy out of the music. I use this example because I have heard this song used in competition.

I have also heard music where the melody and rhythm don't match. The song will seem slow when it actually fast or vice versa.

Blair

Silver
Any song where it skips beats halfway through.

There are a bunch of these hiding on dance CD's..

One second you're on beat, the next second you're off beat and you don't know why..

-Mike
PreBronze
Wow, there are lots of appalling songs out there.
How about the Blue Danube chacha? I heard it last year, but once only thank god.

There are so many bad waltzes - The Story Of Tina, With Pen In Hand... the list goes on.

I agree the Titanic Paso theme is an amazing work of awfulness.

There are so many twee sounding rumbas its just depressing!

PreBronze
In my mind, some of the 'worst' dance music is good music that has been missappropriated - either recorded in a new style it doesn't fit,
or played in a situation where one can't do the appropriate dance.

Examples:
Fly Me to the Moon (a wonderful foxtrot) makes a horrid waltz. I was actually at a place that played this, then also another version (tango perhaps - I forget) back to back, and never played the foxtrot original.

Sing Sing Sing is a classic quickstep. But playing it in a nightclub with a tiny floor choked with swing dancers is just cruel to the ballroom types present.

And then there's the cha-cha version of Hernando's hideway - it's not bad, just embarrasing when you recognize the intro, invite someone to "tango" and then it turns cha-cha on you...

[ 05-26-2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: naturalspinturn ]
PreChampionship
Picture of 90%Attitude
quote:
And then there's the cha-cha version of Hernando's hideway - it's not bad, just embarrasing when you recognize the intro, invite someone to "tango" and then it turns cha-cha on you...

I'd leave that version at just plain embarrasing. Makes me think the DJ is usually hidden in a booth for his own safety!