Find
Notify
Tools

USDSC RESULTS Login/Join

Championship
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
quote:
Originally posted by Some guy:
I think the idea that people are trying to get at here Joe, is that everyone is welcome, and they don't have to think twice about posting just because their English isn't up to snuff. Imagine if we all had to go Russia and wanted to participate in their on-line forums and we were ridiculed for not knowing our Russian grammar and punctutation. It's kinda like that. Since this is not an "English scholars" forum, like Laura and others said, let's ask for clarification rather than ridicule their language prowess. English itself is so different that when I first moved here, my "British" was laughed at and ridiculed. Then I had to learn "American". Now I get laughed at when I go back home. So I can relate. Cheers

Up to snuff is one thing, but da man's writing is simply sloppy and shows lack of care. And if we don't know the poster and all we have to go by is the writing itself, than it is that much more important to write well methinks. Or at least try. So that you don't come out sounding like a clueless jerk. Cause no one wants to talk to clueless jerks...(though some like to date 'em.)
PreBronze
Ahh the wonderful world of ballroom dance. That activity that teaches grace, poise, elegance and manners. What a wonderful example this thread sets for the youth of today involved with this activity. I guess maybe with attitudes like these that burning question "is it art or sport" is being answered. Looks like people are acting like enraged fans at a sporting event.

So anyway, back to the topic....USDSC RESULTS...

Championship
Who said I was angry? Color me amused.

Oh BTW Some guy, if I were typing in a Russian forum (and knew any Russian at all) I would preface my posts with verbiage to the effect of "please excuse my sh!tty Russian, but..." Because there is no doubt that my Russian would be quite sh!tty.
PreBronze
quote:
Originally posted by Joe:
Who said I was angry? Color me amused.

Oh BTW Some guy, if I were typing in a Russian forum (and knew any Russian at all) I would preface my posts with verbiage to the effect of "please excuse my sh!tty Russian, but..." Because there is no doubt that my Russian would be quite sh!tty.

He doesn't KNOW that he is rude or slow... he is surrounded by people who perhaps are even ruder or slower.

It's a cultural thang....

PreBronze
Dancescape admin...can we change the name of this thread to "Inept, Angry and Attitude Problem Corner?"
Championship
Hi everyone,
Maybe we could turn this latter part of the thread around more positively. For example, we would LOVE to learn some Russian, or even Mandarin, Japanese or other non-English languages [Laura? Wink how's your language courses going?]. Maybe words that we can use at practice or at dance lessons - when things are going great, or when things are going really badly (but no swear words, OK, although our filtering system only flags English swear words Wink )!

The other thing interesting about language is that with cell phones and text messaging, this has created new forms of abbreviations, like "cu l8r", LOL, etc. Does anyone know if there is a glossary of new forms of abbreviations? Maybe we could be creative and think of new ones for dancing?

USDSC ... sure beats text messaging "United States DanceSport Championships" Wink (How's that for trying to get the topic back on track? Big Grin)

------
www.dancescape.com
live, love, laugh ... DANCE!

http://www.facebook.com/dancescapetv
Like us on facebook!

Championship
Why is it that every time some bad writer posts, people assume that he/she is an immigrant (not good) and defend his bad English (even worse.) Perhaps you mean well but some of us immigrants are not so happy about this. Some of us have made an effort to find out the basics of English grammar and we don't appreciate being lumped in with those who didn't. So if you think you are being nice by defending them, think again.

And even if he is an immigrant, that is no excuse in my book. Anyone can learn the basics. Ok, I am getting off the box now. Mad

Err was that positive?
PreBronze
The latter part of this thread is a shining example of why people have left this board in droves. There are certain posters that, when they get a hold of a certain subject or attitude, hold on to it like a dog with a bone. Instead of making their point (in a respectful manner) and moving on, they harp on it continuously. Correct me if I'm wrong, Dancescape, but I believe that ALL people who are respectful and have a love of dance are welcome.

Bravo to those who have tried put a more positive spin on this thread and bring it back to topic.

Instead of 'amused', you can color me disgusted with bad attitudes.

Championship
This is just a quick FYI that we've probably said as much as we could about this subject. We appreciate and support dA mAN's right to post his initial remarks/feedback about the USDSC. If we could kindly keep this topic on track to USDSC results, that would be sincerely appreciated.

We all share a common interest and passion for Dance, so let's continue to make new friends across geographies/cultures/ages/walks of life, or like a dinner party, we could move on to other conversations that might stimulate other interesting and respectful dance-related discussion or debate.

Thanks for everyone's consideration. We'll now close this thread and archive it in the Dance Events area. Latin Dancers

-------------
Editor's Note (October 10th):
This topic has been re-opened for continued discussions about USDSC Results and/or other dance-related issues. For posts regarding Language and Grammatical Issues ... -- please click here in the "non-Dance" discussion area .... As always, we will monitor postings on a case-by-case situation and take reasonable and appropriate solutions.

------
www.dancescape.com
live, love, laugh ... DANCE!

http://www.facebook.com/dancescapetv
Like us on facebook!
PreBronze
quote:
Originally posted by DanceScape:

The other thing interesting about language is that with cell phones and text messaging, this has created new forms of abbreviations, like "cu l8r", LOL, etc. Does anyone know if there is a glossary of new forms of abbreviations?
There are quite a few; just Google "internet abbreviations".

Dance first. Think later. It's the natural order. -- Samuel Beckett