Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tap? Jazz? Ballet? Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hey ya'll. I'm gunna start taking dance this year. I'm 14, but I'll be 15 in October. I've like, never taken dance before, because my mom could never afford it and stuff..but now she said I can maybe. The place I would attend only teaches Tap, Jazz, and Ballet. I was thinking about doing tap and jazz, and my friend also wants to do tap and jazz. I was wondering which is more fun, and which is easier. Thank you! Banana

-TiFFaNy-xoXo-
Championship
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
SHAMPOO IS BETTA!

ThreeStep
(stop looking at me swan)

Championship
Hiya Tiffany,
All are fun, but probably Jazz would be more fun, as well as more versatile because a lot of jazz moves could also be done with hip hop. With tap, sometimes the shoes can be expensive or have to be replaced depending on how much tap dancing you do. The other thing is if you have a basement so you can practice -- can get quite noisy.

Please let us know what you decide and keep us updated on all the moves that you're learning.

You might also want to consider Latin Dancing and Ballroom Dancing. They're fun to learn too!

------
www.dancescape.com
live, love, laugh ... DANCE!

http://www.facebook.com/dancescapetv
Like us on facebook!
PreBronze
Alright! Thanks a ton! Which would be easier for a beginner--tap, jazz, or ballet? I'm just trying to make this easier on myself..hehe. Thanks agaiN! -TiFFaNy-xoXo-

Banana

Championship
Hi Tiffany,
It really does depend on the teacher, but in general, we feel that Jazz is probably easier to learn for a beginner!

This is so great that you have decided to take up dancing. We hope that the music will fill your soul, and that the dance moves that you learn will make you feel "alive" with rhythm. Check out also dance competitions in whichever style you choose, because it's a great way to travel a bit, give you goals, and meet new people.

Have a super time! Small Dancer

------
www.dancescape.com
live, love, laugh ... DANCE!

http://www.facebook.com/dancescapetv
Like us on facebook!
Gold
Hi Tiffany,
Jazz would be the easiest of all three and it's great if you like to move to the modern/funky music but it still needs lots of dedication and practice to master the steps unless you just want to fill in some time with moves and music.

Tap is alway fun and who cares if you make noise and your house pets don't mind Smiler
But it does require lots of hand / head / body / foot co-ordination and some people have it and some don't (I don't - I can get my feet going, and I can get my hands going, but never the two at the same time Mad)

If you can do ballet as well as other forms of dance, even for just a year or so, it's wonderful for giving your body poise and grace (as well as suppleness)

Wish you all the best in which ever you choose

June
(do/done all three)

Gold
quote:
Originally posted by ThreeStep:
SHAMPOO IS BETTA!

ThreeStep
(stop looking at me swan)

Whatcha talkin bout mate - movie or bad hair day

June
(Lost your plot)
PreBronze
Awww, ya'll are great! Thanks soo much, cuz I've like, always wanted to take dance..I know I'm gunna suck..but it's worth a shot. Plus..I need a life..haha. So..Jazz it is! Wink

I'm supposed to be seeing my friend Courtney today at our school, when we go get our schedules and student I.D.s...so I'll talk to her then and see what she wants to do!

Honestly though, is it REALLY hard to learn? Jazz, that is. I'm super nervous. Cuz I'm gunna be 15 in a few months, and I've never had the chance to do dance, since my mom really doesn't have the money, and now she said if I really want to, she will let me. So yeah..just wondering if it's worth a shot...

<3, *the* Tiffy Banana

Silver
Jazz is a good choice, because a little more so than ballet, it emphasizes a lot of showmanship. That will make you very confident and make it easier when you do decide to go into other forms of dancing. Also, ballet, I've heard, is best when you start really young, like when you're 6 or 7. Jazz, however, should be slightly easier than that.

If money is a problem, then it's all the more reason for you to make sure you put your heart into it and make your Mom's hard-earned money count. It would be waste of money only if you don't pay attention in class, don't practice, and don't dedicate yourself to improving at EVERY LESSON. Whichever style of dance you decide to do, make sure you make your mother proud. You can't put a price on that, your mother will be glad about every dollar she spent on you.

You've made a good choice to learn jazz. Before you start the lessons 'though, try to go to a jazz show, and make sure you absolutely LOVE what you see. Follow your heart. If you don't absolultely love it, then it'll be a waste of time and pretty soon you'll be dreading all the hard work it takes to become good at it.

Dancescape is right, ballroom and Latin are also excellent choices, and jazz would prove to be a good foundation for that if you choose to switch later on in life.

Good luck! At 15 you should be old enough to tell the difference between a passing fancy and a serious commitment (hopefully!). Especially because money is tight, make sure this is not some passing fancy. Don't worry about having no experience. As the ol' saying goes, "dance like no one's watching". Technique will be taught in class, and you'll use that technique to unleash the rhythm in your soul. Once you get there, no one can stop you!
PreBronze
Hi Tiffany!

Wow! There's been lots of great advice given to you from our lovely DanceScapers! I hope it has been helpful for you!

I agree with almost all of the advice that has been given to you. Here's my experience, so hopefully it will help you out, too!

I have taken all three styles of dance and my favourite was Ballet - I loved the way it strengthened my body and constantly gave me something new and challenging to work on in every class. Plus, one of my dreams was always to dance on my toes. I basically loved Ballet because of the technical challenge it gave me.

I enjoyed Jazz because it let me compete, unlike Ballet, and I liked the music better. To me, Jazz focused more on having fun, letting loose and showing your unique and fun style to the world as you dance and learn new dances. It seems like Jazz would really suit your expressive and fun personality!

As for tap, let's just say I needed some serious help! I could never get my feet to move fast enough! Although it is a pretty cool syle of dancing to learn I think!

I think you will have no problem learning any new style of dance, as long as you enjoy learning that style of dance and keep up with your practicing.

What a great mother you have too!

Good Luck Tiffany and please do keep us posted!

Razzer Wink