Find
Notify
Tools

Goals Login/Join

PreBronze
Picture of Reaching4TheTop
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hey Everyone,
Just curiouse to find out what everyone wants to do with their dancing?
How old are you?
When did you start dancing?
What level do you dance at?
What are your goals for being a competitive dancer?

Thanks,
Forever Reaching [Applause]
Silver
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
quote:
Originally posted by Reaching4TheTop:
How old are you?

quote:

I started social dancing during my first year of grad school, and social danced for a year and half. Then I started competitive dancing 5 years ago.

quote:

I dance at the Novice/PreChamp level in Smooth, Rhythem, and Standard. I dance at the Gold level in Latin.

quote:

Having fun. I rarely dance to win. Lately I've made improving and trying to do well a goal, but first and foremost is having fun. I dance all four styles because otherwise I'd get bored sitting around at a comp. The drawback is, I don't commit too much time to practicing, and when spread across all four styles, I can only advance so much.

--Mark

Silver
I'm 25 started dancing during the my senior year of college, started competitive dancing my first year of grad school. (This is my fourth year dancing competitively.)

I've been specializing in Smooth and Standard and dance Gold in both, though I was close to making the leap to Open in Smooth before the partnership dissolved. I'm picking back up my Latin and Rhythm because I find that a good foundation in all the styles is mutually beneficial especially for the more open-esque stuff in Smooth. I have a more advanced partner in Rhythm so I'm dancing Gold there, and Silver in Latin.

Short term goals: finish learning Syllabus standard, feel more confident in my ability to lead it, polish my Smooth & fix the "unleadable" steps, gain confidence in my Latin/Rhythm so I don't think of myself as an impostor on the floor,
find a new partner for standard/smooth

Long term: final in championship smooth, be able to lead any syllabus step/any style, have fun, take scrutineering exam, plus whatever cool goals arise in a partnership, ie with a dedicated partner who cares about another style, I'ld probably want to add a goal there too.... Promote collegiate dancing, through spreading knowledge and creating useful s/w tools for event organizers
Silver
I am 22 years old going on 23 (in less than a month [Smile] ). I started ballroom dancing my second year in college, but I danced ballet from age 5 to 11 and competed in gymnastics from age 10 to 12. I've been ballroom dancing for 4 years now but 2 years of that was without a regular Latin partner and 3 years of that was without a Standard partner. I now happily dance Novice Latin and Gold Standard with two different partners.

Short-term goals: Move into Novice standard by next Spring and compete in both Novice Standard and Novice Latin at the next Nationals.

Ongoing/long-term goals: 1) Achieve my highest potential; be the best dancer I can possibly be. 2) Gain enough knowledge and experience so I can someday pass everything on to my children. If I can't reach champ level, hopefully they will! [Smile]

tango [Cool]

Gold
Picture of Dronak
quote:

How old are you?

I'm almost 29 and it sounds like tango's birthday is nearly the same time as mine. [Smile] If you exclude the mini-lesson in ballroom I took in undergrad, I didn't start really dancing until I started grad school. I guess I was about 23 at the time. My level varies across the dances. [Smile] For standard, I'm probably about silver with a little gold sometimes. For latin, I've basically gotten to gold in rumba and cha cha, but I'm probably no more than silver in jive and samba. I'd probably say I'm an intermediate level dancer still kind of working on getting to advanced. I don't compete anymore so I don't have competetive goals. My general ballroom dancing goal is to become a competetent gold syllabus social dancer across the board, and hopefully know a few of the simpler open figures to use for fun and variety now and then.
Silver
I just turned 23. I'v been dancing for 4+ years, started competitive dancing my first year in college. Before then, a little social dancing, lots of martial arts and track(100m sprints) and field(high jump, no "hops" for me in QS).

Currently, not doing any dancing for a lack of a follow(I seem to scare them off, or they mysteriously disappear.. hmm....), but otherwise would be doing prechamp/champ standard, and novice/prechamp latin.

My goal is to train hard, compete at champ for all 10 dances, make finals(probably unrealistic, but it's worth a try).

PreBronze
Well I just turned 17. I've been dancing for the past 10+ years; Ballet mainly but also a little jazz, hip hop. I started ballroom 4 mts ago. I've started competing and I am at about an Intermediate level. After this year ends I am moving to silver. My goals are to become the best dancer I can. I hope to always compete even when I start college. Maybe someday my name will announced World Champion!!!!

BallroomNewbie [Thumbs Up]
PreBronze
Picture of Christi
Hi! What I want to do someday is become a professional dancer and then teach kids. Right now I am 13. I started dancing when I was 5 and Everyone tells me I'm pretty good. I have gotten some awards so I guess I'm doing okay as a 13 year old. My goals for being a competitive dancer is to try my best. Also for a camp coming up (UDA) I would like to stay a UDA Allstar.Big Grin