Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alemana - to brush or not to brush Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I was always told to brush. Also its what I naturally did when I first learned the step. I think it looks more stylistic, I've seen it done both ways in competition, and I have done it both ways depending on what my coach wants me to do I think its all a matter of opinion

~BallroomNewbie~
PreBronze
Brushing is thought to make your dancing look slower, and I'd agree. I'm trying to think of top people doing Alemana, but I don't see it all that often. Serena Lecca and Alexandra Gisher do _NOT_ brush, if that makes a difference, and I can't think of anyone that does brush, though, like I said, it's not a step I see top dancers doing very often.

However, I think that brushing is great to teach to beginning and intermediate dancers, because it encourages them to get onto their foot and not to omit the body action that is so easily thrown away on that step. Closed-level dancers often miss this on the Alemana, as well as on regular switch/spot turns. So I think it's good to teach brushing on these figures until the dancer gets onto their feet consistently and produces the required motion. At that point, I think it's cool to stop brushing.

<ShannonH>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Thanks for all the response. There are different instructors at my studio that teach it different ways. I have one who insists that I brush and one that insists that I don't. No real aruguments on my part I just do what they ask and I practice both. I have found that practicing with brushing is helping to increase my balance though and I need as much work on my balance as possible .

I do appreciate the input. I have noticed that the higher level dancers in my studio do not brush when they do Alemana turns but was not sure if that was because of style or if it was not correct.
Silver
Interesting point. Brush or no Brush, either is correct!

Having said that I would say, no brush is more logical. Why? The LF forward lady to outside of man is a delayed walk forward with straight knee. Brushing simply means that you close the foot to foot for "completion of walk". So much is going on this one beat (count 2) from delayed walk to turning and all, that no brush will be more natural.

PreChampionship
When does the brush take place compared to the turn?

Does the turn happen after the collection or before the collection? What powers the turn if the back foot is already collected (I use the back foot in outside turns to push off and power the turn)?
PreBronze
Our coach teaches to collect after the turn. It almost feels like the collection is on the way to the next step.

Silver
Power comes from your standing leg.
PreBronze
My coach suggested that I should not brush because I am short (5') and "not brushing" would make it look better...

Gold
Quote:

When does the brush take place compared to the turn?

Does the turn happen after the collection or before the collection? What powers the turn if the back foot is already collected (I use the back foot in outside turns to push off and power the turn)?

The brush happens after the turn. It is your moving leg (at the ankle) as it is traveling to its next location, brushing your standing leg (at the ankle). You will have turned first.
I am not sure what you meant by "collecting". In the Alemana, first you turn slightly to the right while standing on the right foot, place your weight on the left foot (outside partner), and turn on that foot. The right foot will then brush the left foot before you step forward on the right foot (your back is then to your partner). The last turn is on the right foot, and you turn to facing position. The second brush occurs also after this last turn. It is the left foot brushig the right (the standing foot), before being placed on the side. At each turn, your weight must already be on the standing foot in order to execute a clean, sharp turn. I suppose that, if thinking about collecting, you "collect" first, and then turn. Otherwise you will wobble. To get really technical, I suppose you can consider the act of brushing as a form of "collecting", but I believe your weight should already be on the standing (turning) foot before the turn. The brushing just finishes the look. The push for the stepping comes from the standing leg. The push for the turn comes from the torquing of the body and the turning (wrapping) of the hips. It does not involve movement across space. You turn in place.
PreBronze
I remember how my teacher, the excellent June Mc Murdo answered this question: "I don't try to brush. But I don't try not to brush, either."