New
Find
Notify
Tools

BALLET AND BALLROOM Login/Join

PreChampionship
Picture of Nancy
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have been taking American Smooth and Rhythm lessons for two and a half years without ever having had any dance experience before. I have always felt like an awkward scarecrow whenever I have had to move my arms around in open work. Just recently I started taking one ballet lesson a week and after only three lessons, I am amazed at how much it is helping me with my arm styling in both Rhythm and Smooth.

I wish someone had told me at the beginning how much ballet would help me with arm stylying. I was lucky enough to have a coach come two months ago who insisted that I look into ballet lessons and it was the best advice I've gotten in a long time.

So, the reason I am posting this topic is to save anyone else out there who is new to dance time and tell you to immediately look into ballet for help with arm styling.

Also, is there anything else that I don't know about that could be helping me with my dancing?
Silver
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
How about Yoga to increase flexibility? Not that I have tried it, but people tell me it's a nice way to do it. [Smile] I actually need to get started rebuilding my flexibility. I used to be able to do both right and left splits, but now I can't even bend down to pick up an object on the floor without going ouch! [Frown]

Anybody out there know how to rebuild flexibility quickly ?? I know I'm not inflexible (grew up dancing ballet and doing gymnastics); I'm just rusty after years of not doing all those crazy things ballet and gymnastics require.

PreChampionship
I think most dance styles complement eachother. Ballet is good for posture, turnout and strength amongst other things.

I've done a bit of belly dancing which is great for making you more aware of using your middle and not collapsing, as well being good for isolating different parts of your body. It's also great for strengthening the abs.

Obviously Flamenco will enhance aspects of Paso, but I've never done it [Frown]

Fitness training will help strength & stamina if you need it. The old school say you get fit for dancing by dancing, but I'm of the opinion additional training can help - it's not always easy to get to a ballroom with a partner, but my health club is always open [Smile]

Good luck [Big Grin]
PreChampionship
quote:
Originally posted by tango:

Anybody out there know how to rebuild flexibility quickly ??

Get your bones removed....

I sympathise, I also used to do left, right and box splits and be able to sit there all day with no discomfort. Now I struggle one way [Frown] I think getting that flexibility back involes pain and determination.

Silver
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy:

I've done a bit of belly dancing which is great for making you more aware of using your middle and not collapsing, as well being good for isolating different parts of your body. It's also great for strengthening the abs.

Really?? I often stop by the belly dance classes right across from my studio to watch and I've always been wondering whether I should join them (it looks like so much fun!). Fluffy, I think you've convinced me! Hello, toned belly, here I come! [Big Grin]
PreChampionship
quote:
Originally posted by tango:
Really?? I often stop by the belly dance classes right across from my studio to watch and I've always been wondering whether I should join them ....I think you've convinced me! [Big Grin]

Yay! Go shake your thang [Smile]

PreBronze
Picture of Roselyn
Yahoo IM
Hi there! I took ballet lessons when I was a kid and stopped after four years. After that, I tried several other dances, including jazz, dancesport, cheerleading & even tried figure skating.. Ballet did help me a lot! Smiler
PreBronze
I vote for ballet. I am doing ballet since last one year and it had made my body very flexible.