Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ice Dancers Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Alright, who out there is an ice dancer who does ballroom or gave up ice dance for ballroom? I'm one:

Davis Yang, Menlo Park CA, Palomares FSC

<&lt;Sharon&gt;>
I'm an ice dance/ballroom dancer (I spend an equal amount of time per week on both disciplines). There are many ice dancers who also do ballroom as well; they show up at various ice dance weekends across the U.S. and Canada. As a rule, we spend three or four hours on the ice doing the compulsory dances with various partners, then retire to wine, dine and dance the night away on the floor at these events.

People often ask me whether some of the skills acquired on ice are transferable to the floor and for me, the ability to rotate quickly with control has helped my Viennese waltz tremendously. Latin is a whole different ballgame.

PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hey, I thought I was original!

Gave up ice dance for ballroom, too, right before I tested Junior. Still skate for fun, but ballroom completely stole my heart.

LAFSC, baby.

Quickspirit

<&lt;Sharon&gt;>
I've passed tests in two ISU senior competitive dances (Rumba and Tango Romantica) and have two left to go before I quit testing altogether. Quickspirit, why did you stop skating regularly? I love the glide factor in skating, and have yet to find the flow that's possible on the ice in the standard dances but I'm not a supremely advanced ballroom type, so maybe this discovery awaits my improved technique.

I'm pretty sure there's a dance weekend out your way each year; it's a good way to combine these two loves and make many friends.

PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi Sharon,
WOW. Tango Romanitca & Rumba...I'm impressed. Those two were always greatly frustrating to me. Tango Romantica is still my favorite compulsory, though.
I stopped skating competitively for many reasons - lack of suitable partner, age, etc. At that time, I was actively competiting in both (with different partners), and it really just became too much financially as well as emotionally/physically. I could have continued with both, but I knew I would have more success focusing on one only.

I never have made it to one of the dance weekends. Maybe one of these days....I've always wanted to try that two-girls-one-guy fourteen-step

Quickspirit