Find
Notify
Tools

Has Dance Changed Your Life? Login/Join

PreBronze
Picture of Heculix
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Well, what can I say?

Today I see dance as a sport - and I mean sport. I rather watch dance than soccer. I rather dance to exercise than doing Taebo.

Dance has changed the way I see "healthy living". I am even starting a publication to make people more "aware" of dance and it's all about. Watch this space Dance Mate

I am hoping to start dance classing under the same banner (Dance Mate) and hopefully grow big.

Solly Motsoane
South Africa
PreBronze
Picture of sweetstuff
umm... If you're studying so much about dance you should try it yourself, too! I don't mean to be rude... but I'm just saying that you could add you own thoughts about whether or not you enjoyed it. also...

I don't think that dance is a thing that you would do so it could 'change your life'. If I had to give a reason why it's changed my life, I'd say because it has given me so much. I am an aspiring student, one day hoping to be a professional. I can't say it made me a better person or anything like that. It's something that you can't describe.

It's the feeling you get when you nail a triple pirouette, and then turn around and check if anyone saw you do it, but then realize you're alone in the studio. It's like flying; being who you want to be and showing off skills. It's the excitement of your first pair of pointe shoes and the feel of walking on a cloud.

It's the extreme discipline and never-ending corrections that make you want to live in this world of perfection. No matter who you are, dance is a thing that should be enjoyed, and pursed, throughout your life.(once a dancer always a dancer!) If I'd have to give one reason...

It's because it's the only thing in the world where you can touch the sky and you would never even think of coming down.

PreBronze
When I was doing ballroom dancing, I felt like I was in a different world. It was a way to escape the hustle and bustle of the world at large. I miss not being a part of that and hope that someday in the not-too-distant future, I'll be able to return to it. It's a money issue that hopefully can be resolved fairly soon.
PreBronze
Picture of Rugby
Dancing has changed my life in some ways for the better but other ways for the worse. I guess time will tell which way wins out. It has changed the direction of my life but also took away two things that were very important to me and cannot be replaced. Dancing can take you to an incredible high but crush your ego too. You can meet so many people but the higher your skill level becomes the more alone you can feel. It can make relationships but also be a reason for breakups. It can drive you to strive for more or break you through frustration. With each experience dancing can mold your life in small or large ways.

PreBronze
I'm on hiatus from dancing right now, due to finances. But when I return, I'm not sure I'll want to go the competititon circuit again. It's extremely expensive and I'm not sure that I want to put myself out there again and be vulnerable to other people's comments. Also, there clearly is a distinction in personality from social dancers and competitive dancers. Social dancers really seem to enjoy the dancing for what it is. Competitive dancers tend to be extremely serious about their dancing, sometimes to the point of obsessing on it. They may enjoy the dancing but there's an element of concern about their performance. It can be difficult to balance between loving the dancing and wanting to perform well with the hopes of placing high. Some teachers encourage their students to obsess about their dancing, which isn't right because it places unnecessary pressure on the student. This sport can make a person feel self-conscious about their physical appearance. My previous experience with competitive ballroom dancing was primarily stressful; partly due to me and partly due to my teachers. Also found teachers really favored their students who placed well in competitions when in fact all of the students should have been treated the same.

So, it remains to be seen what I'll do when I return to dancing.
PreBronze
Picture of dance_95008
Yahoo IM
Smiley,
You should try going to other studios in your area. You may find that different studios will have people you may enjoy dancing with more than the studio you used to go to.

PreBronze
Picture of Heculix
Sweet Stuff,
Well, when I wrote the article I wanted to highlight how I see dancing.
Then I was a Silver Latin and Bronze Ballroom dancer. Today I am a Gold Ballroom and Novice Latin (though I was supposed to be doing Pre-Champ - I took a break last year).
My point still stand that dancing is a perfect way to keep in shape. Those who know me can confirm that. I am 1.74m tall, weight 57kg (have maintained this for the last 6 years of my 11 years of dancing and teaching). I can maintain my breathing, which is something I have learnt from dancing.

I practice 5-6 hours a week. I start and end my lessons with warm up/down exicises. In 2004-5 I went to roughly 10 competitions and always came 1,2 or 3rd, never below it. I have done promotions for Cell-C, third mobile network in South Africa. I have done a lot through dancing. I was a member of a dance group which used to dance on corporate functions and special days like June 16 (South Africa's Youth Day). I am proud of being a dancer and a dance teacher.