Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I initially got into ballroom dancing to do the comps because I wanted the chance to win at something. Sports was never my forte but dancing was always something enjoyable to do. I tried to approach dancing competition like I would studying for a test. To work hard, try to master steps and the technique that goes with it. With that in mind, I had hoped to do very well in the comps. Unfortunately, that did not pan out. I did alright but never really made much progress, despite the fact that over the years, I had had several teachers. I was watching DWTS last night where there was a jive number performed by the pros. For the first time, I really noticed their movements and it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't been taught the jive properly. Was always encouraged to really get my knees up. I didn't see the pros dancing like that at all. No wonder I was tiring so easily and my knees really took a beating when I was dancing the jive. It's so important to have a teacher who can teach a person the right way to do a particular dance.

No, I'm not yet back into dancing. Hope to sometime next year. In the meantime, I'm going to try to check out different studios and teachers and see what their quality is. Don't want to make the same mistakes that I had made before.
PreChampionship
quote:
Originally posted by Smiley:
I was watching DWTS last night where there was a jive number performed by the pros. For the first time, I really noticed their movements and it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't been taught the jive properly. Was always encouraged to really get my knees up. I didn't see the pros dancing like that at all. No wonder I was tiring so easily and my knees really took a beating when I was dancing the jive. It's so important to have a teacher who can teach a person the right way to do a particular dance.

My coach also tells me to lift knees high in Jive, especially step 1 and rock steps. She also tells me that in steps "One" "&" "Two," the first step ("One") and Step "&" are not equal beats but the former is longer (3/4th of a full beat) than Step & (1/4th of a full beat); thus, it should be counted as "One" "Ah" "Two." Jive is a fast dance, and I don't know how I can micromanage it in this manner when step are moving at the speed of light. Anyone has any comments? May be I should quit dancing, too. Where is that guy who used to post excellent technique (Doctor "Max?")

PreBronze
Picture of dragonfire
I have problems too, with the execution of the steps of the jive. When I first learned jive technique some 12 years ago, on executing the steps, I was taught that I had to think along the lines of using the feet as if trying to dig a hole in the floor with them. So it was a heavy action, with no rise of the knee.

I gave up latin American dancing for many years to concentrate on ballroom dancing (eventually going on to sequence dancing). Recently I decided that I'd like a few lessons in the jive (for social dancing), and found that it has totally changed in its action. I just cannot get to grips with this light on the feet and high knee action jive. Though the timing hasn't changed, I'm wishing that I'd never been taught this dance all those years back, because I wouldn't have a technique problem to get out of.

So Smiley - you're not on your own re. problems with the basic action of the jive!
PreBronze
Once you are ready to sacrifice don't care about the money you are spending.It gives you enjoyment and make others enjoyable.