Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Coast Swing Login/Join

Silver
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Maybe where YOU are Twinkletoes- Ive been going for years. There are no pro and am distinctions ?! --Every single Swing WCS Hustle Salsa event HERE ive been to has pro and AM divisions. What event did you go to where there was absolutley no pro and amateur distinction in the comps? Id like to link to their website. Ill link you to all the swing servers I know-
I repeat -The difference is that here one will not get bumped out as an amateur if they teach dance. You dance at your ability in the dance- There are-every now and then- people that enter the PRO divisions without enough skill. They usualy wont repeat after watching the competition tape . Jack and Jil comps also have a way of separating the best of the best from all others.
Silver
I agree on the part about moving up-Unless there is a shortage of a sex in a J&J divison, then many times one will dance up or down- What I dont enjoy about the ballroom events is the lack of general dancing or party atmosphere. Many times it s ALL about thecompetetion and many people get frustrated bored and dontrepeat- also there are so many divisions that everyone wins. Thats not really a comp. Its more of an exibition. Whatever- They will either get with the program or bre passed over.

PreChampionship
I'm on the west coast...most of the comps are either strictly wc, or country, swing, and hustle. most wc comps have no distinction. A couple of them do, but it's the exception more than the rule. Even the country comps have pro-am categories, but everything else is generally open.
Silver
BTW who is that sucking on your eye? [Big Grin]

PreChampionship
That would be my husband, on our wedding day! He actually introduced me to wcs...he's been doing it for about ten years. [Smile]
PreBronze
One of the reasons I like WCS besides its slinky, sensual styling is the fact it's a lifesaver on crowded dance floors! I seem to get collided into far less while doing WCS!

One pet peeve, when DJ's do this very heavy TOP-40 emphasis at WCS events, hate to say it, but a lot of this current pop stuff just absolutely DOES NOT swing at all, I can't dance to something that is so stiff and robotic like that, gimme some good 'ol blues and funk anyday!!

PreBronze
Im new into West Coast Swing as a DJ. Been a shag DJ for over 15 years. Its a vibrant and active thing all over the country. IM trying to learn everything I can. I'll sure keep in contact with you for sure

Ron
PreBronze
That depends on your preferences....East coast is a circular type dance, you tend to move in a circular pattern. West Coast is a 'slotted' dance, designed to use a smaller floor space when big ballrooms disappeared after WWII.
In WCS, the man moves basically side to side as he conducts the woman 'down the slot' or along a track. There is a walk walk step instead of a rock, step, as in East Coast. You can dance thousands of patterns of WCS on a section of floor a little bigger than a door, but you need more room for ECS.
ECS has 'lilt' or a little rise on the 'and' beat steps. WCS is smooth, and should look effortless. ECS is usually a little faster.
Different music styles as well