Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to teaching Login/Join

PreBronze
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have another observation. Many of us live in areas of the country where studios are not available, or are not in a financial circumstances to afford them if they were. I think that what dance needs to to change the culture of America broadly by becoming acceptable and desirable to the masses. In that light, I think it's great for this person to be teaching, exposing as many people as possible to dance and the enjoyment of dancing.
I understand the issues of correct teaching for those who are getting into competitions, and it would be better if everyone could have a great coach, but I think that any influence that makes dance an exclusive club is bad for the sport and perpetuates a myth of snobbishness.
Silver
My former partner was from Liverpool, UK she started to dance when she was a teenager. There was little for a girl to do in those days but there was a dance studio in the neighborhood. It was a safe place, young and old would gather there and for a small sum, were taught to dance. For what would be about $5.00US today, they had about two hours instruction and two hour of practice. Whenever students would show and interest in competing, the owner would refer the couple to another studio for advanced instruction.
I understand that there were many such places in out-of-the-way parts of England and this is why there were, in the past, so many excellent dancers from very unlikely places. Today it is not the same, as prices have risen in the UK, seemingly fueled by an influx of overseas students willing to pay any sum for instruction.
I think the secret is volume. If it were possible to guarantee an idependent teacher a group of 25 or more social dance students two days a week, then the price of such instruction would be modest. The trick is to assemble such a group. Studios have been unable. Possibly social groups should form to attempt this. Social dancing is a working class form of entertainment, it always has been. The wealthy pay to be entertained, the ordinary people entertain themselves.
Competition dancing is another thing completely.

Silver
If you are in America, check with your local Parks & Recs department or your local Community College to see if they offer dance classes. In the town I live in, the Senior Center gives free dance classes to teens. And there are many Country Western & Swing classes offered for very low prices. The local state university branch offers Latin dance classes. Also (if you are 21 yrs old), the dance clubs in nearby cities offer free dance classes on Friday or Saturday evenings. And some studios (like the one I belong to) offer free beginner dance classes once a week. So, look around you, and I'll bet you find something similar.

I agree -- the more people dancing, the better for dancesport!

Happy dancing!

<Tanya>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi, first of all I would like to thank those of you who have shown so much support. It is highly appreciated.
Second,........ To those of you with the "snobiness" in your blood for this sport, your comments and essays have just made me want to be one of the ones to change this feild. You have absolutly no idea what I am capable of nor what my teaching abilities are. I am sorry if you forgot when you were new to this. It was not just given to you, it was something you had to learn for yourself, always fun, but sometimes hard.
It almost makes me regret ever posting this topic in the first place. Your comments have opened my eyes to all the "types" of dancers and teachers out there.
I have never claimed to teach advanced students. My job description is to introduce begining students to the world of dance and take them to that first level. Which makes me very proud, espically to see them advance with another teacher to the next level.Like all of you I continue to teach, and learn on a day to day basis.
K.I.S.S
A little update...Things have been going wonderful!!!! I thank the studio that hired, and trained me.If I ever needed to, (which I dont plan on ) I think I would have few problems finding a position on my level now.
Benjamin, Thank you for your uplifting support in your resent posts.
Tanya Beardsley
Seminole Ballroom

<Jayne>
Tanya,
Wonderful to hear the news, and I for one am very happy to hear your posts. You have to understand that in this world, there will always be "critics" but if you stick to your vision and continue to work hard, you are the type of teacher we all hope will come to the dance industry.

If you had never posted, think of people like myself and the other ones who support you positively -- we would never have known that there were new professionals like yourself who are dedicated to learning!

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences!

<Benjamin Smith>
To Tanya:
Keep your chin up, take heel leads in your smooths and kick butt!
Drop me an e-mail if you ever have questions about the dance business. As you can see, I speak my mind and will only give you the striaghtest answer i can.
benjbeth@concentric.net

PreBronze
This is a very interesting discussion. Let me just give you my background. I started ballroom dancing about 7 years ago and was not so serious (socialy) for 2 years, then I had to take a 2yr break, and the last 3 yrs I have been dancing more seriously in the Bay Area (including one year of being the ballroom president of a university). I have taken many group classes and privates with many of the teachers in the area, competed and taught for my club!!

So what does it take to be a good dance teacher. In my opinion
1)Intimite Knowledge of Ballroom Dancing Steps and Technique

2)Presence of self with your body. (Stuff that things like Ballet focuses on)

3)Energy and Presence.

I am babling a bit but the best teachers I have had are very entertaining, know immence knowledge of technique and not very arrogant.

What teachers I don't like... teachers that do not teach proper technique, those only 2 steps ahead of me, and those that try to press how superior they are to me (which is always obvious anyway, why would I take a lesson from someone not as good as me? what would I learn)

So anyways my advise to you is to continue your training as a dancer, dancing as much as possible and with as many people as you can.. I think that will help you get a sence of what you need to learn and what you will be picking on when people come into lessons.

Me myself had one bad experience with a teacher. I was intruiged by franchise dance studios and decided to have an evaluation. I labeled my self as an intermediate dancer and the teacher treated me as a beginner (ie like teaching me the "magic step" in foxtrot or the swing basic. This was really an insult to my dance knowledge.. and then she tried to sell me lessons with her. ( I honestly thought I was a better teacher than she was.)

But alas, two months of ballroom you may be great, you may be horrible, but my advise is that you focus on alot of technique... that is how you will win clients imo. Also be fun!!

A note about franchise dancing. For me it stank like my dance shoes that I was dancing in for 4 hours straight. But after my bad lesson I talked to the owner and learned alot about Ballroom dancing....

There are very contrasting styles of ballroom dancing... Many people think just Internation al and American, but there is also social dancing which is based on many techniques that are comtrary to technique learned in the other two styles, I would like to say they both have merits...

The Int/Amer Style vs Social is like the difference between New York and Califonia Bagels. Of course the real bagel is the New York one but the California version is good but to me it should not be a bagel...

I am ranting but anyways dance is dance and we do it because we love it. Franchise dancing serves a purpose, not mine but it is good for some. And teaching.. do it because you love to teach :-)

Happy Dancing
Richie Hom

PreBronze
Hey, I just happened to come across this forum by accident. Good for you Tanya for following your heart no matter what anyone says Smiler.

To the “snobiness” & the “supportive” people, I invite you to google “Tanya Beardsley” today. Breed compassion, you never know whom you can inspire, affect and connect with.

Dancing/Music is feeling, story telling, and inspiring others. I for one would LOVE to learn any form dance from Tanya Beardsley! She has a BIG heart and has changed many people’s lives through her passion & teachings. She will continue to inspire others, because it’s in her nature, and she’s a beautiful soul.

Love will always win!

xo